Current forum darling affordable psu?

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
I used to have a harley benton power plant junior which was fine, it had a bunch of isolated outputs and came with a bunch of good cables.

It was very cheap and powered quite a wide range of pedals.

I want one again but wondering if there is a new forum darling. I'll be powering a boss dd-2, dod FX 65 (which has a converter cable for the odd power supply), boss ph1-r, boss df-2, a juansolo weird fuzzdrive thing that splits low freq and high freq gain and volume, a couple of muffs and another digital delay pedal that doesn't require massive juice.

Basically, all 9v, all lower power requirements. Would a standard boss or visual sound one spot do the trick here?

I intend on having one of the delays in the loop and one up front, if that makes any difference. Cheers!

Might need to look for a pedal board too... But that can wait for another pay day. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    Define affordable?

For under £100, the new Fender range with 5 x 500mha each would be my choice, you can daisy chain a couple of analogue ones and put the digital ones on their own.  TONS of power for any future pedals.

The higher end without getting into Gigrig stuff is the Cioks DC7.

The good thing about the Cioks is they fit under a pedaltrain, the Fender you will need a riser for the feet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Define affordable?

For under £100, the new Fender range with 5 x 500mha each would be my choice, you can daisy chain a couple of analogue ones and put the digital ones on their own.  TONS of power for any future pedals.

The higher end without getting into Gigrig stuff is the Cioks DC7.

The good thing about the Cioks is they fit under a pedaltrain, the Fender you will need a riser for the feet. 

The harley benton is £25 so that kind of range. I don't use thirsty pedals and have not wanted to change my pedals for years (I'm very lucky!). I'll check out the Fender one. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    There really is a noticeable difference between a harley benton and a cioks (or whatever decent brand)

You generally pay for what you get. A decent psu is worth the outlay, even despite the initial ouch of the cost
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got one for sale in the classifieds (Nordell Audio Power Core). It worked for me powering 5-6 pedals inc a Strymon Iridium which was heavy on power (500ma). It was silent in my setup and powered everything fine. Here is a link to my post.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210228/fs-various-bits-and-bobs-pedalboard-pedals-power-supply-patch-bay-hum-destroyer#latest
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    I've been using a vitoos DC8 for a few years on one of my pedal boards. Can't say I've noticed any difference in performance/noise compared to my other board's psu (MXR Isobrick).   The Vitoos was around £30 and the Isobrick was around £130 I think.     I have a spare DC8 in my gig bag just in case.
  • There really is a noticeable difference between a harley benton and a cioks (or whatever decent brand)

You generally pay for what you get. A decent psu is worth the outlay, even despite the initial ouch of the cost
    The harley benton was silent (ie can't be improved upon) and *mostly* had enough power bar my old line 6 modeller (don't have that anymore) but I was wondering if there was something better for a similar or slightly higher price. The Fender one @RaymondLin mentioned has a lot more power and seems a good price, so I may go for that, but things like cioks are absolute overkill for me. Even the Fender probably is, I've been settled on my effects for years now and the only thing I might consider that's more power hungry would be pitch shifting - maybe a boss ps-6 or digitech whammy.

I think my current pedals would run fine and quiet from a simple wall plug but I seem to remember those things get weird when there are pedals in the effects loop.

kennedydream1980 said: I've got one for sale in the classifieds (Nordell Audio Power Core). It worked for me powering 5-6 pedals inc a Strymon Iridium which was heavy on power (500ma). It was silent in my setup and powered everything fine. Here is a link to my post.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210228/fs-various-bits-and-bobs-pedalboard-pedals-power-supply-patch-bay-hum-destroyer#latest
    That looks amazing, but also quite massive for my needs! I might need to ask about that pedal board... ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I will be listing a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus at the weekend if that's of any interest? 8 outputs, 2 higher current.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    +1  for voodoo labs they're excellent 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I've got a Voodoo labs Dingbat board and Iso 5 with softcase ready to go, ad is buried in classified somewhere, pictured with pedals but is now empty, might be a bit spendy though. I could possibly negotiate.