IK Multimedia launches AmpliTube X-GEAR pedals

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
Each pedal features 16 effects with popular AmpliTube models plus new reverb and delay algorithms.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Look interesting. Though the use of the word "boutique" has lost all meaning now. Might as well have said "wibble".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Look interesting. Though the use of the word "boutique" has lost all meaning now. Might as well have said "wibble".

Agreed. They are hardly 'boutique' ... the software integration looks good. I wonder if the effects are based on real pedals as per the models in Amplitube?

I suspect an amp pedal will be on the way.

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 395
    I never rated the IK Multimedia software much in terms of sound (neither Amplitube and especially not their synths) in comparison to what else is out there so, unless they have made a massive improvement in sound with these pedals, I can't see why anyone would pay quite premium prices for them.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Surprised they didn't go for an all-in-one box a la Helix. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Surprised they didn't go for an all-in-one box a la Helix. 
    That would have made a lot more sense, wouldn't it?!

They seem to have tried to follow the Strymon approach but, in my opinion, they have nowhere near the sound quality nor the kudos to be able to compete at that level.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    You don't think IK's VST plugins match the sound quality of Strymon's pedals?

Bit of an apples to oranges comparison ain't it?
  • They look really cool. And in terms of their *EFFECTS* processing, I would put IK Multimedia up there - certainly better than the effects offered by NeuralDSP in their desktop plugins. I use a lot of the IK Multimedia effects from T-Racks and Amplitube in general, not so much their amps, and I hold them in high regard.

And you'd imagine they've been beavering away on DSP research in order to make these pedals anyway.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Me too, and enjoy their amps too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I don't think their stuff is built the best and out of warranty repairs would be a round trip to Italy and a blank cheque.
    At least that's what happened with the ilouds I had, just out-of -warranty landfill.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    If boutique now means “made from anodised aluminium” there was also a load of boutique mountain bike tat being made in the early 90s. If Guitar follows that trend we’ll have anodised “boutique” jack plugs, tuner buttons and speaker bolts next!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited July 2021
    Cirrus said:

I was comparing their sounds to other software developers and similar DSP based products. I think their plugins (many of which I own) are fairly weak including Amplitube, T-Racks but especially their synths. That doesn't mean you can't get good sounds out of them, I just personally think there are considerably better options out there.

Again, to me, they are not in the same league as many others in terms of sound so it doesn't seem to make sense to introduce a series of products dedicated to certain effects like some premium brands. For example, I would be very surprised if their delay pedal is much better than TC Electronic's pedals but these new ones seem to cost at least twice as much.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemol said:
    Cirrus said:

I was comparing their sounds to other software developers and similar DSP based products. I think their plugins (many of which I own) are fairly weak including Amplitube, T-Racks but especially their synths. That doesn't mean you can't get good sounds out of them, I just personally think there are considerably better options out there.

Again, to me, they are not in the same league as many others in terms of sound so it doesn't seem to make sense to introduce a series of products dedicated to certain effects like some premium brands. For example, I would be very surprised if their delay pedal is much better than TC Electronic's pedals but these new ones seem to cost at least twice as much.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Bye!

Glad you are having fun!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    susbemol said:
    Glad you are having fun!

Drew knows a thing or two about plugins .... ;-)

Fretwired said:
    susbemol said:
    Glad you are having fun!

Drew knows a thing or two about plugins .... ;-)
    Even if that was indeed the case, does nobody else's opinions count?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    All opinions count, but when you put your opinion out into the world it might take a bashin'

Me, I want to explore said opinion before deciding how much weight to give it; what T-racks plugs do you find weak, and what are the better alternatives to them?
  • It's just mildly amusing to me. I've done a lot of personal shootouts with T-Racks and have always placed it in high regard. I recently got their Comprexxor plugin, which is a Distressor compressor and I shot it out against my UAD Distressor plugin, and they were bang on against each other. And considering I had to pay £2000+ for a hardware unit in order to run the UAD version, whereas I can run the IK version for £99..... *shrugs*

I'll wait and see how they turn out. The clips on the website sound great to me, certainly Strymon level.

Let's not forget.... Strymon hit their stride a decade ago..... it's a piece of piss for a company that cares about sound to hit those levels of quality now, in 2021.

Bye!

Sure, I don't mind some people not agreeing with me. In some cases, we are into completely different types of music and sounds so it makes sense that we might prefer very different tools.

With regards to T-Racks, I have very rarely chosen to use them since I started using mainly Soundtoys, Softube and iZotope plugins for similar purposes.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    No, it’s still a French word meaning a small shop selling stylish clothing, jewellery, or luxury goods. 

Whether it ever had any useful meaning beyond that is another question, with my money being on “No”, and “wibble” always having conyeyed at least as much useful information…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...