Guitar polish to remove Plectrum marks from black guitar .

What's Hot
Can anyone recommend a polish to remove  plectrum marks and light scratches to a black gloss electric  , wouldn't normally bother but the previous owner has scuffed up the front quite a bit with swirl marks and it is quite dull in places .

I have tried some basic planet waves restorer but hasn't made much of a difference , I will be doing it by hand as I don't own a buffer .

Was going to try so T-cut but just a bit concerned it  maybe a  bit too abrasive . 

thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Meguiars Scratch X seems to be a finer abrasive than T-Cut. T-Cut make one for metallic paint which I think is gentler than the normal T-Cut. I’ve had decent results using  rubbing compound, T-Cut and then Meguiars - using at least two grades of abrasive is the way to go. You’re unlikely to go anywhere near through a modern polyester or polyurethane finish using componds by hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Meguiars Scratch X seems to be a finer abrasive than T-Cut. T-Cut make one for metallic paint which I think is gentler than the normal T-Cut. I’ve had decent results using  rubbing compound, T-Cut and then Meguiars - using at least two grades of abrasive is the way to go. You’re unlikely to go anywhere near through a modern polyester or polyurethane finish using componds by hand.
    Thanks , just picked up a bottle of T-cut from tescos and spent the last couple of hours trying to hand polishing the top and it worked  not perfect but better than it was . 

Thanks again 
  • I've had very good results with Secret Sauce - theguitarrepairworkshop.com
    Just don't put it on your burgers!

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    I had some slight scratches on the bonnet of my car (don't ask). I polished them out with coloured T Cut but you could still see them in a certain light. So I though sod it and gave the bonnet a coat of turtle wax - hey presto - they are all gone.

Something like that worth a try?
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    I have never used it but I have heard good things about Virtuoso guitar polish... I do wonder though if its just a bottle of Tcut re-branded :)  

• SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    I use Farecla G3 compound to cut then Maguires Ultimate Compound to put a mirror finish back on.
    Works for me
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    The aforementinoed Meguiars SwirlX is a good shout. I've used Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover 2.0. Should last a lifetime if you use it for guitars and not your car.