Can HX FX do this? (favorites and snapshots)

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 944
What I would love to be able to do:

1 - Save an effect as a favorite. 
2 - Use that effect in multiple patches, inc snapshots
3 - Decide that I want to edit the effect, do it while in in a patch
4 - Re-save the favorite over the top and have it update everywhere else that favorite is used.

I know I can do 1, 2 and 3 it's part 4 that I don't think is possible. 

If you know differently then please share it will save me a ton of time. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    relic245 said:
    What I would love to be able to do:

1 - Save an effect as a favorite. 
    2 - Use that effect in multiple patches, inc snapshots
    3 - Decide that I want to edit the effect, do it while in in a patch
    4 - Re-save the favorite over the top and have it update everywhere else that favorite is used.

I know I can do 1, 2 and 3 it's part 4 that I don't think is possible. 

If you know differently then please share it will save me a ton of time. 
    Your assumption is correct, I'm afraid. There's a shortcut for updating those presets, though. You go to the preset you need to refresh with the updated favourite and highlight that effects block. Then turn the Big Knob one effect away and back to the favourite for the preset to refresh it.

What would be nice would be a "replicate" or "ripple" option that lets you make a change to the favourite and then press a button to ripple that throughout all your presets on the unit that use it. 

• relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    relic245 said

What would be nice would be a "replicate" or "ripple" option that lets you make a change to the favourite and then press a button to ripple that throughout all your presets on the unit that use it. 

Yeah that ripple would be great.

I can't figure out how to do what you suggested with the way I have it set up.

I use the favourite as part of a snapshot.

Then in preset mode I use the command center to assign the snapshot to a footswitch.

I can't see any way to then go into individual effects except in hx edit.

I've got a whole bunch of presets to edit and don't really want to take my laptop to rehearsal. This is all about balancing volumes so it needs to be done in a band context. 
    relic245 said:
    <snip>
    I can't figure out how to do what you suggested with the way I have it set up.

I use the favourite as part of a snapshot.

Then in preset mode I use the command center to assign the snapshot to a footswitch.

I can't see any way to then go into individual effects except in hx edit.

I've got a whole bunch of presets to edit and don't really want to take my laptop to rehearsal. This is all about balancing volumes so it needs to be done in a band context. 
    I do have favourites stored, but I've never tried the "use the Big Knob" feature to update them in a preset myself. I just read about it in the User Guide after you posted your question. My use of favourites is limited to using them as a starting point. I assumed this could be done from the Signal Flow view on a preset by preset basis. I'm nowhere near my HX FX right now so I can't try anything.  
    You're right. It can be done from the signal flow screen. I've never used that before. 

I'm a little closer now but I haven't figured out how to overwrite the favorite from the signal flow screen yet.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Boss gt1000 can do that.  

Personally having owned a gtcore, gt1000 hx FX and stomp, I prefer the boss to line 6 for sounds.

thomasw88 said:
    Boss gt1000 can do that.  

Personally having owned a gtcore, gt1000 hx FX and stomp, I prefer the boss to line 6 for sounds.

It’s all personal preference.

I’ve had the hx stomp and now have the fx

i have a gt1 on my desk for quiet  practice( which I believe is the same sounds as the gt1000)

to me there is no contest and the helix family sounds so much better.

the boss is a great unit for practice but I don’t think I’d want to use it live.

something for everyone out there I guess.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    The GT1 uses the same sounds as the GT100 - not the 1000. Totally different animals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316

The GT1 uses the same sounds as the GT100 - not the 1000. Totally different animals. 
    As  Chuffola said,  the GT1  is similar age to the  Line 6 M range .

The GT1000 sounds are comparable to the Line 6 helix range.   But it does have the favourites type thing you are mentioning.

thomasw88 said:

As  Chuffola said,  the GT1  is similar age to the  Line 6 M range .

The GT1000 sounds are comparable to the Line 6 helix range.   But it does have the favourites type thing you are mentioning.

Ah gotcha.

anyway, it would be a nice to have features and it’s good that the gt1000 has it but it’s not enough to make me change my whole platform for.
    For every person who wants the favourites feature to automatically ripple through all presets when it gets changed, there'll be another who doesn't. And some will want it to ripple through the currently-loaded sets of presets but not the setlists they've got backed up. And some will want the ones they've got backed up to be automatically updated when they restore them. Others will want a toggle in the preset to say "ripple if changed or don't ripple if changed" on a preset-by-preset basis.

Who'd be a developer, eh?  ;)
    For every person who wants the favourites feature to automatically ripple through all presets when it gets changed, there'll be another who doesn't. And some will want it to ripple through the currently-loaded sets of presets but not the setlists they've got backed up. And some will want the ones they've got backed up to be automatically updated when they restore them. Others will want a toggle in the preset to say "ripple if changed or don't ripple if changed" on a preset-by-preset basis.

Who'd be a developer, eh?  ;)
    That is so true. 

And I wanted it recently when I wanted to update about 30 presets. Who knows when I would use it again :)

It's also highlighted that I don't have things organized very well at the moment. 
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I'm going to hijack @relic245 's thread by asking my own 'Can HXFX do this?" question. @TheBigDipper may be able to help here...

I'm considering an HXFX to use 4 cable method with an amp without reverb.  Is there a way for me to have the amp's preamp and a reverb constantly on, but not assigned to a footswitch?  I'm never going to want to turn off the preamp, and want a set-and-forget verb in loop.  Can I do this without wasting a footswitch?
    Gulliver said:
    I'm going to hijack @relic245 's thread by asking my own 'Can HXFX do this?" question. @TheBigDipper may be able to help here...

I'm considering an HXFX to use 4 cable method with an amp without reverb.  Is there a way for me to have the amp's preamp and a reverb constantly on, but not assigned to a footswitch?  I'm never going to want to turn off the preamp, and want a set-and-forget verb in loop.  Can I do this without wasting a footswitch?
    Can't sleep? (Looking at the time you posted...). :-) 

No problem doing this. The HX FX doesn't have to assign a footswitch to an effect block automatically. It's just most of us (me) let it do so because we're too lazy to stop it. Once you have the effects blocks you want in your preset, you can go to Command Center and clear the ones assigned to your FX Loop and Reverb blocks (or use HX Edit). Make sure those effects blocks are on before you save the preset, mind... 
    I do exactly that with a noisegate at the start of my chain. 

Remember as well that you can have multiple effects on a single footswitch.

As TheBigDipper hinted at, command center is very powerful. I've only recently discovered it. You can assign snapshots to footswitches too in stomp mode. 

I have 3 snapshots set up , clean , crunch and lead which are all assigned to switches. 
    Then the other 3 are used as normal to switch fx on and off. Gives me great flexibility. 

relic245 said:
    I do exactly that with a noisegate at the start of my chain. 

Remember as well that you can have multiple effects on a single footswitch.

As TheBigDipper hinted at, command center is very powerful. I've only recently discovered it. You can assign snapshots to footswitches too in stomp mode. 

I have 3 snapshots set up , clean , crunch and lead which are all assigned to switches. 
    Then the other 3 are used as normal to switch fx on and off. Gives me great flexibility. 

I think I would probably do the same - use the top 3 switches and the pedal outputs to switch the amp channel and boosts for clean/crunch/lead - then have a verb on in the amp's loop permanently, and use the other 3 switches for delay, tremolo and something else...

Gulliver said:

Can't sleep? (Looking at the time you posted...). :-) 

2am is a pretty normal time for me to be up doing stuff...  probably not healthy, but normal!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    You can also have expression pedals turning on effects. I do this on my HX Stomp. Moving the expression pedal past a percentage of your choice turns the wah on and lets me play it with the pedal. Dropping the wah back below that level doesn't automatically turn it off (which is good) until a set period of time has gone - which you can set in milliseconds. It's a really great feature. 

You can also have expression pedals turning on effects. I do this on my HX Stomp. Moving the expression pedal past a percentage of your choice turns the wah on and lets me play it with the pedal. Dropping the wah back below that level doesn't automatically turn it off (which is good) until a set period of time has gone - which you can set in milliseconds. It's a really great feature. 
    That sounds cool - but both pedal jacks are going to be used for amp switching, otherwise I'd need some sort of MIDI controlled TRS switching thing to use , which adds a shitload of hassle for a moron like me.  I could use a separate footswitch for amp switching but that defeats the point of going HXFX...   more consideration needed!
    Gulliver said:
    That sounds cool - but both pedal jacks are going to be used for amp switching, otherwise I'd need some sort of MIDI controlled TRS switching thing to use , which adds a shitload of hassle for a moron like me.  I could use a separate footswitch for amp switching but that defeats the point of going HXFX...   more consideration needed!
    The only multi-channel amp I own is a Bluguitar AMP1, and that has a plethora of options controllable by MIDI. If you're using both TRS sockets for amp switching, maybe a MIDI-controlled switcher to "click" the TRS latches/pulses for your amp (FX sends the MIDI to the magic box connected to your amp footswitch cable) would be a good investment. I'm sure they exist but haven't needed to research it myself. 

Every time I load an HX FX  preset or snapshot I'm sending a single PC command to select the AMP1 channel+boost on/off+reverb on/off. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    I've been thinking of getting one of those new Blackstar midi pedals. It looks super easy to set up.