Stryfecta peeps..... do you often find you just don't use them????

What's Hot
WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
Something I've been puzzling my puzzlebox over the last day or so. I have the BigSky, Timeline, and Mobius. They all sound fantastic. But I often don't use them.... and I don't really know why....

For reverb for instance..... more often than not I reach for my MXR Reverb. It has three knobs. It's a piece of piss to use.
For delay.... I tend to reach for my DM2w or Carbon Copy Deluxe lately. Before that, it was DD7's and/or a DD500.
For modulation..... I tend to cut my own head off rather than use any... but pretty much I only use a pattern tremolo on the Mobius..... I haven't really used phaser or flanger for ages, and for those I'd probably go Phase90 and Boss BF2.

So what gives.... got these amazing balls deep boxes that sound fantastic.... but they're not my "go to" pedals.... anyone else feel that way?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    Don't own any Strymons, but I've had other kit like that. 

EHX Small Clone - love the pedal, think it sounds great, never want to actually use it. Similarly with envelope filters, and Marshall flavoured amps. Whenever I plug into a Marshall I always think it sounds great but I never actually "want" to play one. 

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    edited July 2021
    Use the mobius all the time for all my modulation it's awesome. 

I've also owned   a/b
    'd wampler terraform, boss md500 , fractal fx8, boss gt1000 and helix. Kicks the arse off all of them imo.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    I don't care about reverb; what's in my amp is good enough and I only need basic delays so I didn't keep either the Timeline or BigSky. The Mobius however, gets used ALL the time. I even use it as my wah with an expression pedal moving the Q on the envelope. It's bloody brilliant and I still like it more than the MD-500 or the mods in my GT-1000.
  • The brain is lazy- if it’s confronted by a complex pedal and a simple pedal, unless given a good reason, I expect it will always prefer the pedal with the least effort of use. 

I guess if you want to use them more, make sure they’re the only ones on your board that cover that domain.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited July 2021
    Something I've been puzzling my puzzlebox over the last day or so. I have the BigSky, Timeline, and Mobius. They all sound fantastic. But I often don't use them.... and I don't really know why....

For reverb for instance..... more often than not I reach for my MXR Reverb. It has three knobs. It's a piece of piss to use.
    For delay.... I tend to reach for my DM2w or Carbon Copy Deluxe lately. Before that, it was DD7's and/or a DD500.
    For modulation..... I tend to cut my own head off rather than use any... but pretty much I only use a pattern tremolo on the Mobius..... I haven't really used phaser or flanger for ages, and for those I'd probably go Phase90 and Boss BF2.

So what gives.... got these amazing balls deep boxes that sound fantastic.... but they're not my "go to" pedals.... anyone else feel that way?
    Kinda.

I don't need the Big Sky- I have the Bluesky which I use on one setting most of the time.
    I have a Volante that I use on one or two settings most of the time.
    I don't use modulation other than trem.

This is live I am talking about- I want fewer options there because it just doesn't come out the front- all the subtlety is lost.

When it comes to recording then all bets are off- I spend most of my time in the H9000 and the Axe FX for that.
  • allenallen Frets: 699
    I'm the same. Have got all 3, but rarely use them.

It may seem daft, but I think that it's the endless bending over to tweak knobs. I really want them to have an ipad interface like the H9. I would almost want to swap them for H9s, but then the problem with the H9 is that you can only really use it with the ipad, there are almost no knobs on it.

I get a lot more enjoyment from simpler devices e.g. I've got a way huge supa puss delay which is amazing and inspires me

I've been reflecting a lot lately that a really important dimension of a gear purchase is simplicity of use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Is it as obvious as perceived “simple and immediate” vs “faff and complexity”?

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited July 2021
    I think complexity versus simplicity is definitely part of it. What I'm starting to see lately is that I prefer to have more simple devices chained together, rather than fewer complex devices chained together.

A DD8 stacked with a DM2w stacked with an MXR reverb stacked with a Carbon Copy.... sounds better and more interesting to me than Timeline and Big Sky together. And I'm more creative with the single stomps versus the multi's too.

Bye!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I find single stomps more immediate and creative.

MultiFX are great for switching patches and complex routing.

I find mega pedals like the timeline the worst of all worlds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1590
    I only have a volante and use it a fair bit, all my pedals are off the floor, so tweaking is easy.

I also have a helix, but i really only used that for amp models. It's not far away, bit once i have to bend over to tweak I can't be bothered.

I have a Mac linked to the helix, but using that to adjust pedals etc. Is just a bit dull... So I'm probably only using 25% of what the Helix can do... And i have a few pedals i use that or could probably get close enough to the sound of... But then i don't get to buy pedals! :)
  • That's it. I've made my mind up. I don't need them anymore!

Bye!

edited July 2021
    That's it. I've made my mind up. I don't need them anymore!
    Put them aside for a month before selling.

I had pretty much made up my mind to sell my Kemper.
    I've built a bass rig around it this week as I have some rehearsals and gigs coming up where I am playing bass and the Powerracks built in amp will be perfect.

If I'd sold the Kemper I'd be scrambling to build a new bass rig now.

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited July 2021
    octatonic said:

They already have been! I've barely touched them! I've just been using my DD500 and DM2 and CCD mainly!

Bye!

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 916
    edited July 2021
    Maybe it's a different thing for people who play live a lot and are MIDI syncing the effects changes and so on, but I much prefer individual stomps, even if it means a bit of tapdancing. If I was playing the same set list in the same way every night to a click track like in musical theatre or something, I might get into the multiFX thing, but I like tweaking on the fly and it being different from gig to gig, so I'm definitely on board with many small simple pedals 
  • octatonic said:

I had pretty much made up my mind to sell my Kemper.
    I've built a bass rig around it this week as I have some rehearsals and gigs coming up where I am playing bass and the Powerracks built in amp will be perfect.

If I'd sold the Kemper I'd be scrambling to build a new bass rig now.

I decided to keep my Kemper as well recently!

Bye!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've just bought a DM2-W and it's all your fault.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I have a Big Sky and Timeline.  I regularly use about 4 or 5 presets on the Big Sky, and 3 on the Timeline. I could easily live with some simpler pedals.
  • I've just bought a DM2-W and it's all your fault.
    Fucking sick pedal tbh dude. I'm thinking about a 2nd!!!!

Bye!

• Maybe it's a different thing for people who play live a lot and are MIDI syncing the effects changes and so on, but I much prefer individual stomps, even if it means a bit of tapdancing. If I was playing the same set list n the samd way every night to a click track like in musical theatre or something, I might get into the multiFX thing, but I like tweaking on the fly and it beimg different from gig to gig, so I'm definitely on board with many small simple pedals 
    My take on it is this....

When we play gigs.... the ones I've enjoyed the most are the ones where I compromise on the tones a tiny smidge in order to make my life easier, simpler, and thus.... I can get into the music more and don't have to be thinking about a million things... thus more enjoyable.

Bye!

Maybe it's a different thing for people who play live a lot and are MIDI syncing the effects changes and so on, but I much prefer individual stomps, even if it means a bit of tapdancing. If I was playing the same set list n the samd way every night to a click track like in musical theatre or something, I might get into the multiFX thing, but I like tweaking on the fly and it beimg different from gig to gig, so I'm definitely on board with many small simple pedals 
    My take on it is this....

When we play gigs.... the ones I've enjoyed the most are the ones where I compromise on the tones a tiny smidge in order to make my life easier, simpler, and thus.... I can get into the music more and don't have to be thinking about a million things... thus more enjoyable.

Yes, this.
    Spending less time worrying about small percentage difference in tone in order to concentrate on the performance.