Vintage Les Paul Custom hunting

What's Hot
robdynamiterobdynamite Frets: 95
edited January 2021 in Guitar
Hey all, i'm looking for info on where's reputable to me to find a 80's gibson les paul custom from in as best condition as possible?

Now i've spoke to Richard Henry and asked him to keep an eye out as he's probably my choice to get one from, but not many seem to be passing through his way recently. 

Do any of you have other places/avenues that you'd suggest/recommend?

I keep my eyes on reverb and ebay from time to time but i'm concerned about buying blind with covid etc from these sites whereas a reputable dealer would alleviate some of my concerns with issues/fakery.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just wanting to bump this as I’m still heavily hunting for an ‘87 les Paul custom in ebony. Still having no luck finding reputable people or even a guitar since I miss Rich Henry’s last year! Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    I would sit tight for a year prices have gone stupid £3.5k plus s/h ,you will be paying top wack atm .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was thinking this, but also I’m thinking they’re not going to be dropping any time soon either. But I could be wrong.
  • Do people really fake 80s Gibsons?
  • Do people really fake 80s Gibsons?
    I’ve not seen one, but I was referring more to recommendations of someone or somewhere that deals in legitimate guitars/has a solid track
    record/is honest etc. Sorry if it was a little unclear. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    edited July 2021
    Talk to Owen at SomeNeckGuitars in Dublin.  They have a website...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• @JR-GibboMan is the man to talk to!
  • Just keep an eye on Reverb and eBay and know in advance what you're happy to pay and stick try to sick to that. They really have gone off the charts in terms of price over the past year or so. Google will bring up a few UK stores that have used instruments as well

Are you fussed about everything being original interns of case and pick ups and hardware?

'87 Pick ups can be the last of the Shaws or Lawrence circuit boards unless it was a custom order (I've got '87's with both) and cases could be a Chainsaw or a thinner tan and pink one. Anything that's not original (hardware/pick ups/refret etc should be reflected in the price) and obviously avoid anything with issues like repairs to the neck.

I'd been hunting for some custom colour customs for a long time without finding what I want in the UK/EU. Ending up getting a couple from the US but that's a different headache in terms of cost.

An ebony '87 shouldn't be the hardest thing to find. Good luck 
  • Not quite what you’ve specified, but I would buy the handmade Japanese Navigator LP Custom in the classified for 1/2 to 2/3 less than an ‘80s Gibson imho- superior in every respect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    Not quite what you’ve specified, but I would buy the handmade Japanese Navigator LP Custom in the classified for 1/2 to 2/3 less than an ‘80s Gibson imho- superior in every respect.
    Apart from of course its not a gibson and wont hold its value as well.  There are some bloody good 80s customs
  • @JR-GibboMan is the man to talk to!
    Thanks for the advice guys, I've dropped him a line and i'm fully on the prowl.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Does it have to be an 80s one? @peteri has a '76 one with a lot of character..
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Just keep an eye on Reverb and eBay and know in advance what you're happy to pay and stick try to sick to that. They really have gone off the charts in terms of price over the past year or so. Google will bring up a few UK stores that have used instruments as well

Are you fussed about everything being original interns of case and pick ups and hardware?

'87 Pick ups can be the last of the Shaws or Lawrence circuit boards unless it was a custom order (I've got '87's with both) and cases could be a Chainsaw or a thinner tan and pink one. Anything that's not original (hardware/pick ups/refret etc should be reflected in the price) and obviously avoid anything with issues like repairs to the neck.

I'd been hunting for some custom colour customs for a long time without finding what I want in the UK/EU. Ending up getting a couple from the US but that's a different headache in terms of cost.

An ebony '87 shouldn't be the hardest thing to find. Good luck 
    Thanks mate, yeah i'm looking for one with Shaws or Lawrences and in as close to best condition as possible with chainsaw case. So fingers crossed one pops up.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18384
    ^  @robdynamite ;
    Have you thought of getting one of these instead of holding out for an earlier protector case?
    https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/gibson-deluxe-protector-case-les-paul-black
    Might then make it easier just to find the right guitar, rather than the right guitar 
    with the right case. 
  • There’s a 93 Yamano with swapped pickups and refret popped up on Facebook if that’s of any interest? Bit later than 80s but worth a mention
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    ^  @robdynamite 
    Have you thought of getting one of these instead of holding out for an earlier protector case?
    I hadn't seen that before. It looks like a slightly reworked Gator TSA case, but £100 more?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18384
    ^  @robdynamite 
    I hadn't seen that before. It looks like a slightly reworked Gator TSA case, but £100 more?
    Probably right Steve. I thought Gibson just badges up TKL's anyway?
  • ^  @robdynamite 
    Might then make it easier just to find the right guitar, rather than the right guitar with the right case. 
    I had considered it, but i'm only really after the chainsaw case that's original to the guitar. If the right guitar comes along with a lifton style one, i'd happily take it.