What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4942
Choice from:

Vox AV30
Vox Cambridge Combo
Boss Acoustic Singer Live IT
Fishman Loudmouth Mini
Marshall ASD50

How will those amps respond to plugging in a Strat instead of his acoustic.?

Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    There are amps (such as the Boss Katana I think) that have voicings for both electric and acoustic guitars.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    The Voxes aren't acoustic amps and won't sound that great with an acoustic guitar, although they will sound fine with a Strat.

The others are acoustic amps and will sound fine with a clean electric for 'jazzy' sounds, but terrible with an overdriven sound, even from a pedal - unless the pedal has onboard amp/speaker emulation.

The Line 6 Spider V - 30W model and bigger - will take both though, since it has a FRFR mode. (The 20W claims to, but since it doesn't have a physical tweeter it will be a compromise.) I'd probably go for the 60W model if the budget is enough for the others.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I've never owned one but the Roland Cube Street series are meant to work for both. I think they are basically a PA speaker with an amp sim in the front. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Fishman by a country mile. Superb.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
    I can only speak for the loudbox mini, I’ve got the charge version purchased off Mr Wazmeister above and my baggs M80 equipped acoustics sound superb through it.
    It also does a decent job with my daughters mini strat.

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    I'm with Waz and Gandalph, the loudbox mini's are excellent amps with a suprisingly big sound
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    ICBM said:

The Line 6 Spider V - 30W model and bigger - will take both though, since it has a FRFR mode. (The 20W claims to, but since it doesn't have a physical tweeter it will be a compromise.) I'd probably go for the 60W model if the budget is enough for the others.
    One of the endearing things about spiders is they sound equally shite no matter what type of guitar you play through them....just as good on grand piano, vocals and bassoon too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I use a loud box mini to great effect - but I run my electric Guitar in the line input from either my Line 6 HD PROX or my pedal board which has an amplifier box mk 2 on it ;)

• RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    My friend wants to keep his Orange Crush amp and does not want to but another amp.  Is there a pedal that could be used between his acoustic guitar and the Orange to give an acoustic sound but louder than the guitar is unplugged?  He likes the sound when his Strat is plugged into the Orange amp and wants to use the same amp for acoustic duties.

Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    edited July 2021
    Rocker said:
    My friend wants to keep his Orange Crush amp and does not want to but another amp.  Is there a pedal that could be used between his acoustic guitar and the Orange to give an acoustic sound but louder than the guitar is unplugged?  He likes the sound when his Strat is plugged into the Orange amp and wants to use the same amp for acoustic duties.
    Surprisingly, the Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator pedal works well for this. It’s supposed to be for making an electric guitar sound like an acoustic guitar - which it’s pretty poor at - but actually much better at making an electric guitar *amp* sound more like an acoustic amp.

The earlier AC-2 is better than the more modern AC-3 - the AC-3 can distort in an unpleasant way if the guitar output level is too high, which it can be from an active electro-acoustic. (The AC-2 is discontinued, but fairly common on Ebay I think.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson