Wall socket

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15927
Moved in to a new house………plugged our microwave in a twin wall socket that also served to permanently power the gas cooker/electric oven, both workin,great.

got up this morning and both microwave and cooker are not working into the wall socket but are fine in other sockets………nothing has tripped in the fuse box department

any thoughts…..? I am starving
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Broken socket.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Bit odd for a cooker to be powered off a wall socket; normally they have their own circuit due to the high current draw.

But yes; most obvious reason is the socket has failed.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    You might find there's a proper cooker circuit that's failed and the wall circuit is spurred off that, hence no power
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    A lot of efficient modern ovens are low enough powered to run from a standard 13A socket - our is, which surprised me at first but it came with a moulded plug on it!

But if none of the trips have tripped, I think it must be a faulty socket. Most likely one of the terminals not screwed down tightly onto the wires. This is quite common - and a fire risk since a bad electrical connection can generate serious heat if it's making partial contact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    edited July 2021
    The switches on the sockets themselves may have gone bad. Do you mean a cooker switch, with a built in socket ?

The cooker should be on its own 6mm radial cct, sometimes they have a built in socket and sometimes they're just a switch to turn the cooker on and off. The cooker switch usually just feeds the cooker connection unit, that powers your oven.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3598
    New house as in new build?  
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    Check the RCA and see if the switch has dropped; the kitchen circuit is sometimes separate.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Some trip switches don’t look like they’ve tripped, there 75% still in the up position. But they’re loose to the touch. if you push it all the way back up again you may find it was off. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15927
    Check the RCA and see if the switch has dropped; the kitchen circuit is sometimes separate.
    Huh…….what’s that and is it beside the cooker.?
    tae be or not tae be
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    RCD
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    It's a great big switch on your consumer unit that protects circuits .........usually at one end or in the very centre.
    Kitchen should always be it's own separate ring 
    is it a socket or an isolator (fused spur)
    Even if it's low consumption an oven should be switch fused
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Probably just a loose wire in the back of the socket if it was working ok yesterday. Are you confident with looking at electric stuff Hoots? Turn off all the breakers or the main switch at the fuse box before you do anything else, only then unscrew the socket and have a look. If you’re not sure though, get an electrician in. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    edited July 2021
    @boogieman Given Hoots other comments on the thread, if he's not just having a giggle he might be better off to get a knowledgeable mate or a sparks in ... Wouldn't want him to enact Sporky's quote that gets used as a sig.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Post a pic of the fuse board…

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Opened up the wall socket........it's a twin socket and the cooker has been plugged into the right hand side and working for ages i expect.....fed with 3 wires and they are sound.......the socket only went tits up when i plugged a microwave into the left hand side (it was working OK) and left microwave in situ over night.........next day, no lights on the xmas tree ma

What now? Cooker and MV are working OK in to alternative sockets

I wanna impress Hooters and fix it
    tae be or not tae be
    spark240 said:
    Post a pic of the fuse board…

tae be or not tae be
    tae be or not tae be
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 231
    New board time - no RCD's and looks like plastic casing :-)