Stickers - love them or hate them?

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Do we know the effect of different types of paper and glue on tone?

Will it aid or hinder resonance?

Will the moisture content of the wood in the guitar's body be affected? For better or worse?

These are questions for someone else to answer as there's no way I would spoil a guitar with something as stupid as a sticker.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    edited July 2021
    Basher said:
    That said, Alvin Lee's 335 always looked daft to me.

Shows how we like different things. To me there’s something iconic about Lee’s 335.

Edit - Actually, maybe it’s only iconic by association. Just looked it up on Google images and it’s a bit shit really isn’t it?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I think an original 70s Deadhead sticker suits a 70s hardtail Strat quite well, but I still bunged it on the back.

https://imgur.com/a/IZxyO0I 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    edited July 2021
    Only any good when their removal with a sharp object renders the serial number stamped into the back of a vintage Gibson’s headstock illegible.
    @richardhomer that's a blast from the past!  D

I can still recall the days when many dealers put their own 'sticker' on the guitar - often the reverse of the headstock - So often dealer name/address + phone number with/without company logo - You still occasionally see the odd old guitar with this info still intact 

A very '80s kind of thing!  My Hamer Special had a sticker from Rock Island (or was it Bird Brothers?) which I peeled off but it's still in the case.  And my Aria CS-400 has a headstock sticker from some shop in the US.  I've left it on there. 

Those apart, no stickers on any of my other guitars and I'm not a fan of them. 

But @not_the_dj I did have them all over my pencil case/geometry set at school, including ones from oranges and apples and a Lynyrd Skynyrd one which says "The flight of the Freebird continues".
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11297
    Stickers should be reserved for HSCs only.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Only any good when their removal with a sharp object renders the serial number stamped into the back of a vintage Gibson’s headstock illegible.

I can still recall the days when many dealers put their own 'sticker' on the guitar - often the reverse of the headstock - So often dealer name/address + phone number with/without company logo - You still occasionally see the odd old guitar with this info still intact 

A very '80s kind of thing!  My Hamer Special had a sticker from Rock Island (or was it Bird Brothers?) which I peeled off but it's still in the case.  And my Aria CS-400 has a headstock sticker from some shop in the US.  I've left it on there. 

Richard knows these guys very well - 2 brothers ran the 2 stores in the 70's/80's
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    abw1989 said:
    Not really a fan. Unless it's a tasteful Woodstock, then I'm definitely a fan

I'm loving this guitar. Imagining it in bright red or bright blue though (with Woodstock of course). Stunning.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    edited July 2021
    Some work....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited July 2021
    Philly_Q said:

Richard knows these guys very well - 2 brothers ran the 2 stores in the 70's/80's
    Funnily enough there was a Yahama SG2000 for sale via a dealer recently - and the was a Guitar Player (the Bird Brother’s Rochdale shop) sticker on the back of the headstock in their photos. The shop closed in 1992 - Arthur Bird reckon they sold the guitar in the mid-80s!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Philly_Q said:

Funnily enough there was a Yahama SG2000 for sale via a dealer recently - and the was a Guitar Player (the Bird Brother’s Rochdale shop) sticker on the back of the headstock in their photos. The shop closed in 1992 - Arthur Bird reckon they sold the guitar in the mid-80s!
    I bought my Hamer in January 1982, I was 17.  I saw it listed in a tiny ad in the back of Sounds, phoned them up and they still had it so asked them to keep it for me, then sent them a cheque by recorded post the next day.  Different world!  :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    I read this as Snickers, so disappointed as was expecting chocolate with peanuts. Mmmmm, Marathons.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Iamnobody said:

Are you Thom Yorke?!

No, and I wish I hadn't seen that! I had no idea. I don't like Radiohead, and people now might assume that's why I've got the stickers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4079
    I don’t have any on my guitars at the moment , I like them on super strats that look like strats ,eg charvel, squier contemporary . 80s skateboard stickers are a must . Actuall do have some on the rear of my guitars at the moment 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4079
    One of my old ones , sheer bloody 80s class 

• BodBod Frets: 1286
    Stickers?  Nah, not cool at all...

One of the best live rock bands on the planet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

I bought my Hamer in January 1982, I was 17.  I saw it listed in a tiny ad in the back of Sounds, phoned them up and they still had it so asked them to keep it for me, then sent them a cheque by recorded post the next day.  Different world!  :)
    Can't even remember when someone last paid me with a chq
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 911
    works for Joan

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873

I always liked Mike Ness' goldtop! I was actually thinking earlier it'd be cool to do that to the JJN Gold Glory. As well as swap out the black dogear for a cream one.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    They're a lot of work when you inevitably want to remove them when they start to look tatty and not quite as cool as you used to think they were.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    My first decent guitar (an Aria-Pro II, Magna series?) was covered in them. It was okay. I hated the burgundy sparkle. 

Tempted now to put some on my black Schecter PT or a single one like that Woodstock one.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent