Let The Fun Commence..80's Rack of Doom finished (finally!)

What's Hot
grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
edited April 2022 in Amps
Nearly a year down the line and it's finally done!

I'd like to say it has been a smooth ride but there have been some bumps along the way :) The MLC mixer took months to turn up and was then returned due to a fault and I waited months again. The Triaxis & Studio Preamp had some issues and it's only thanks to Chris @ Sickamps tenacity that they are back to full functionality. I could go on but it would get boring :) 

Sounds amazing.. little excessive for a home practice setup but hey, you only live once.

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @grappagreen man that's awesome.

\What cabs are you running?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    @JohnCordy ;

Running a Zilla 1x12 and 2x12 at the mo but given that I'm this deep in the rabbit hole I'm going to look out for some Boogie 1x12's :)

Si
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    So you got the Fifty/Fifty then... :)

You're going to need a bigger rack box if you get the Mark L - I make that 10U already. 12U will give you a spare slot, which is always dangerous ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 168
    Where’s your looper/switcher, how you intending to bring units in/out the signal chain?
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    I had the Studio + 50/50 combination at one point, it was excellent.
    edited July 2021
    @ICBM - Yes :) I'm prob going to go for 14u as there are a couple more classics I fancy having a play with.. 

@Schmo - Running a Morningstar MC8 for patch change/CC control and will be using Morningstar RL5 (s) to switch the inputs in and out for the SPX, PCM 70 & 81 and anything else that appears. I'm trying to find a midi controlled latching switch for the Studio Pre (Suhr used to do one so hunting at the mo). I've looked at your shirt a few times actually :)

The TSC is the biggest challenge. Speaking to Italo De Angelis (rack FX guru) you can get close with a H3000 (or better) or another PCM81 but nothing can replicate the TSC sound exactly. I would really like a TERC but part of my own brief was not to buy anything I'm going to take a massive financial bath on and a TERC would be given the total cost to get one from the States. That said an H series Eventide or Orville isn't exactly cheap but way more flexible than the TERC.. Will make my mind up later on this.

I'll update the thread as the build progresses.

Si
    @ICBM - Yes :) I'm prob going to go for 14u as there are a couple more classics I fancy having a play with.. 

@Schmo - Running a Morningstar MC8 for patch change/CC control and will be using Morningstar RL5 (s) to switch the inputs in and out for the SPX, PCM 70 & 81 and anything else that appears. I'm trying to find a midi controlled latching switch for the Studio Pre (Suhr used to do one so hunting at the mo). I've looked at your shirt a few times actually :)

The TSC is the biggest challenge. Speaking to Italo De Angelis (rack FX guru) you can get close with a H3000 (or better) or another PCM81 but nothing can replicate the TSC sound exactly. I would really like a TERC but part of my own brief was not to buy anything I'm going to take a massive financial bath on and a TERC would be given the total cost to get one from the States. That said an H series Eventide or Orville isn't exactly cheap but way more flexible than the TERC.. Will make my mind up later on this.

I'll update the thread as the build progresses.

Si
    Good stuff Si !

I have the RJM & CAE for my looper/mixer...and a TERC too, no compromises LOL !

Italo does great work no doubt, but as you say there is no substitute for a TERC no matter what anyone says...best of luck on completing the rig.

Regards,
    Graeme
    After 8 weeks of waiting, false promises and let downs mixer has finally arrived!

Managed to get a quick setup with the SPX and PCM81 in parallel and it sounds pretty awesome.

Couple more bits to get hold off and we're ready to go..
  • BoltersBolters Frets: 41
    Might be overkill for your needs, but the Voodoo labs GCX/HEX will do midi controlled latched switching.

It's a cracking setup you've got going on there.

I had a Tri-axis/ Stereo 2:90 rack setup with a TC G-force and Voodoo labs GCX/GCP for control and effects years ago.
    I really wish I had held on to it! Especially the Mesa amps. With one or two exceptions not much has come close to the tone or versatility I had with that rig.

• Lovely! Get a thiele...
    Updated as finally finished..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Very nice.

Next do a 90s one with a Quadraverb and an Art with the pink squiggles on it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Wow.
    Very nice too.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Looking good.

Just the 1210, 2290, H3000 and an EQ to go then ;)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4084
    That’s the most awesome thing ever ,love 80s racks 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Fabulous and are you operating a Wet/Dry set up?

That wouldn't be out of place on a stage with Lukather, Landau or Dann Huff.

What's left to get? An ADA MP1? An Eventide Harmoniser?
    Thanks for the comments all

Gadget said:
    Looking good.

Just the 1210, 2290, H3000 and an EQ to go then ;)
    Er no.. enough is enough and this is an expensive wormhole :) I'd like to get back to some playing...

Kebabkid said:
    Fabulous and are you operating a Wet/Dry set up?

That wouldn't be out of place on a stage with Lukather, Landau or Dann Huff.

What's left to get? An ADA MP1? An Eventide Harmoniser?
    I've got it running as a stereo rig.. 

Si