Anyone got/experienced these soundhole pickups?

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
edited July 2021 in Acoustics
1. LR Baggs M1 Active
2. LR Baggs M80
3. iRig acoustic stage
4. Seymour Duncan Mag Mic.

Used a condenser mic for some live clips and it was feeding back horribly and it was picking up the speaker monitor playback so I think I'll have to look into a soundhole pickup as I don't want to permanently modify my D28 - not yet anyway. Long term I want to put an LR Baggs Anthem in it but that's not for a while.

The M80 was my first choice but the others are meant to be decent too for live use, as I may be playing the D28 on stage later in the year.

Any recommendations welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    I prefer the Fishman Rare Earth to the Baggs ones, when comparing equivalent models.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Hmm, I played a HD28 with a Fishman in it (don't know which one it was) but I wasn't a major fan of the sound.

Oh and the Mojo NC-1 has entered the list, I just checked out a demo and it does sound great! But I think its a relatively new release and hard to source in the UK.
  • To mention a related one, I use the Fishman Blackstack which is good for high volume gigs and works well with FX. I really like the sound but obviously it’s more on the electric side. Great if you’re into John Martyn! 

When I was looking, the M1 active seemed to be the gold standard for sound hole pickups, and probably sounds more ‘acoustic’ and sparkly than the blackstack.
    @ICBM is the Fishman you're referring to the humbucking active one or the single coil passive one? The Humbucker one doesn't sound too bad actually, and its easier to source in the UK.

More of a strummer as opposed to a fingerstyle player on the D28 too so would want that acoustic sound and not a metallic electric guitar one!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Do what I do!…

Sounds aces :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I bought an iRig Acoustic Stage and returned it. Sounded quite natural at low volumes but suffered dreadfully from feedback when amplified. The mounting wouldn't fit over the slightly thicker wood around the soundhole on my Brook (it's slighty thicker than the rest of the top) but had no problem on my L'Arrivee. I think it's best used for recording/broadcast rather than amplifying. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    I gigged an M1A for 18 months or so and it was fantastic. That was 8 years ago, so it's possible newer stuff is better, but I'd be happy to use one again in future. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    I've got an M1A in my Stonebridge and it's great. I bought it years ago following forum advice and I really love the sound from it, it sounds natural and woody rather than that piezo quack.
    It records well too.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited July 2021
    M1 etc get good reviews but I have not tried it.
    I have a rare earth and SD magmic.
    The RE sounds better as mag only but with mic blended in the SD is more natural, albeit bigger physically.
    I bought an iRig Acoustic Stage and returned it. Sounded quite natural at low volumes but suffered dreadfully from feedback when amplified. The mounting wouldn't fit over the slightly thicker wood around the soundhole on my Brook (it's slighty thicker than the rest of the top) but had no problem on my L'Arrivee. I think it's best used for recording/broadcast rather than amplifying. 
    One use will be broadcasting and some live clip recording but later on I will want to use it live if I haven't installed the Baggs Anthem yet (unless I find another soundhole p'up I like more). The iRig gets a bit of negative review with the flimsy wire to the DI box thing and the feedback issues.
    I gigged an M1A for 18 months or so and it was fantastic. That was 8 years ago, so it's possible newer stuff is better, but I'd be happy to use one again in future. 
    I think soundhole pickups have come along a bit in the past few years with all sorts of brands available now. I did like the sound of the M1 active when I checked out demos though, and the price isn't too bad and relatively simple to use it looks like. Did you need to use any additional DI box preamp/EQ thing or just straight from the pickup?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:
    I've got an M1A in my Stonebridge and it's great. I bought it years ago following forum advice and I really love the sound from it, it sounds natural and woody rather than that piezo quack.
    It records well too.
    Yeah natural strummy sound is what I'm after, it doesn't have an internal mic though so I don't know where that woody sound would come from.
    The RE sounds better as mag only but with mic blended in the SD is more natural, albeit bigger physically.
    Which Rare Earth version do you have? E.g the single coil/humbucker etc. I like the idea of the gooseneck mic with the blend version, with 50/50 mic/pickup it sounds quite natural.
    Which Rare Earth version do you have? E.g the single coil/humbucker etc. I like the idea of the gooseneck mic with the blend version, with 50/50 mic/pickup it sounds quite natural.
    The humbucker, no mic
    The humbucker, no mic
    Ok. What guitar have you got it in? Would the internal mic cause feedback if its plugged into a PA?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    I also really dislike internal mics on acoustic guitars. They never sound 'right' like an external mic, and always cause more feedback than a plain pickup. That's also one of the things I don't like about the Baggs M1 - it's more feedback-prone than the Rare Earth due to having a body motion sensing coil as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 895
    As another option the Schertler Ag6 is s a very good soundhole pickup. A bit expensive but really full sound, and it's got an extra input where you can blend in a second source if you want.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    I had or have the following:
    (1) Fishman Rare Earth single coil (active) - Sounded pretty good but I lived in fear of the battery giving out.
    (2) Fishman Neo D single coil (passive) - Bought to replace (1) but turned out to be way too weak in output for live use.
    (3) LR Baggs M80 - Sounds excellent but if you hit it while playing you and the audience will know about it! Really long battery life and a handy level indicator actuated by a tiny push button. Bloody spendy though!

I kind of wish I had gone for the K&K Pure Mini although apparently that system can be ‘challenging’ to install.

The humbucker, no mic
    Ok. What guitar have you got it in? Would the internal mic cause feedback if its plugged into a PA?
    Used it in an Advanced Jumbo & GS mini
    It's quite feedback resistant live and it has a thumb wheel balance knob which I set to 50% up. If I get any feedback then I just turn the mic off. The mic does sound great though and that's why I use it over the rare earth. 
    ICBM said:
    I also really dislike internal mics on acoustic guitars. They never sound 'right' like an external mic, and always cause more feedback than a plain pickup. That's also one of the things I don't like about the Baggs M1 - it's more feedback-prone than the Rare Earth due to having a body motion sensing coil as well.
    Hmm see the Fishman mic blend sounded pretty nice to me with the 50/50 mix. But I don't know if this will cause feedback issues with a big PA system. If I'm right the Anthem is an internal mic but I like the way that sounds, just costs £350 for the thing then I'd have to pay someone to install it!