Garden Office

What's Hot
Edm123Edm123 Frets: 64
Hi all,

Do many people on here have a garden office? I can see I'm going to need one and wanted to check what other people found effective for them.

I have about 2.5x3 metres in which to put one and will need it to be warm enough to work in all year round.

I don't need it to be soundproof at all - I am only planning to work in there, not make music (sorry to be no fun!)

I've considered getting one of those timber kit ones (insulated) or having one built from breeze blocks etc (double skin). 

Other than needing it to be warm and secure, my only other consideration is not wanting to spend too much. I would spend £10k if absolutely necessary but would be much happier with £5k or less. 

If it helps I'm handyish at DIY but building with blocks is not something I've done before.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received. 

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1324
    I built a timber framed office, with UPVC double glazed windows, Cedar clad, 100mm Celotex insulation, EPDM rubber roof. Cost about 5k totally DIY, 2.4m x 2.4m.

Was perfect year round, only don't use it now as we moved house.

As long as you have a chop saw and a circular saw it is perfectly reasonable for someone pretty handy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Edm123Edm123 Frets: 64
    Thanks @davros, are you saying it was a kit or you designed it yourself?
    I designed it myself, although not a huge amount to it, was basically a cube! It was 6 years ago and resources are much better now (YouTube).
    Looked like this

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    I've had a few buildings from these guys over the years.

https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/garden-offices

You can either build it yourself - will take a few days full-time - or pay them a small sum to put it up (in half a day).  Then budget some time to paint it with some appropriate preservative.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2021
    As mentioned, if you're capable of doing basic DIY the answer is to make it yourself and save a lot of money. Timber frame using 2x4 (same for floor if there's no concrete base) 3x2 frame with a slight rise (1 in 12 pitch would be more than enough) for roof, all wrapped in breathable membrane, all frames full of insulation, and good quality felt on osb3 for roof.

Some second hand pvc windows and doors, plasterboard/dry line interior and clad outside in whatever you like the look of/whatever is cheapest (I currently love the look of PVC coated box section sheets running horizontal as a quick, long lasting and cheaper than wood alternative given the current timber prices).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    That looks very smart.

@Edm123 if you went for larch cladding and searched Gumtree for some cheap double glazing and a UPVC door you'd save a fair bit too
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Also make sure the height doesn't exceed 2.5m as you may need planning permission
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Actually, I remember now only 2 walls were cedar clad, the 2 by the fence were 'thermowood'.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    SiL built an amazing garden office. He learned everything from YouTube videos.

He wore out the bearings in my chop saw though...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    I’ve got one which is 2.5m x 3.0m. I spent just over £20k at the start of the year to have it built, so big savings to be made if you’re able to do it yourself. Heat comes from an IR heater, and the building retains its heat very well. Can get very hot in summer though - the guitars came indoors during the recent heatwave. If I was doing it again I’d think about air conditioning but to be honest it’s not a problem to move stuff out from time to time. Also, think about where the sun rises and sets and how that might affect room temperatures (especially if you’ve got large-ish windows).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    If you are looking at DIY, Oakwood Garden rooms sell instruction ‘kit’ that detail all the material quantities etc. Which could save you a lot of time and also minimise wastage by ordering the correct quantities. 

They also have a youtube channel with vids detailing their builds which is useful for DIY.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChqWFbSX8STP_c8W0RVW1Xw/videos

Timber costs and building materials in general are very high at the moment. Bear that in mind if someone tells you they spent £5k a couple of years ago - you could add a grand or more now for material costs. 

Good luck!

I’ll be getting one within the next 12
    months but haven’t settled on what yet. I’m after one at least 5 x 3m so the costs will be a bit higher. Best one I’ve found so far is £13500 fully fitted and finished using SIPS with good insulation properties.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Yes. 
    As well as everything already mentioned, the one thing I'd not cut corners on is insulation. I use oil filled rads and they are plenty enough. 
    Put a good floor in, well insulated too.

Gutters- useful.

think about some sort of AC as well. They get surprisingly hot quite quickly, even if it's not really hot outside.

Dedicated consumer unit and plenty of sockets, I know that may seem obvious.

last thing - security. Mine is alarmed and has proper doors and windows on it, recently replaced with upvc ones, with tons of locks. A window you can lock on a vent is useful as they can get a bit stuffy.

Guess it's all obvious stuff really.
  • Edm123Edm123 Frets: 64
    Thanks everyone for your recommendations and advice. 
    I have found a YouTube channel by Ali Dymock that is very helpful as well.

I will certainly look to self build going by the prices quoted above. 

@underdog ,it looks like you aren't far from me so if you fancy giving me a hand, just let me know ;) 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    How are you sorting Wi-fi? The extenders I’ve tried (sky) have been pants. Waste of space. One of my pals uses an EE Mi-Fi device so he can also take it on hols and on trains etc 
    I used a powerline thingy to take it down the armoured cable to the office.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2021
    Edm123 said:
    Thanks everyone for your recommendations and advice. 
    I have found a YouTube channel by Ali Dymock that is very helpful as well.

I will certainly look to self build going by the prices quoted above. 

@underdog ,it looks like you aren't far from me so if you fancy giving me a hand, just let me know  

Let me finish the little cabin I'm doing at the farm and I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Edit: for internet I'd just run a cable from the house, cat6 cable designed to be used out doors per metre is cheap enough and just cut the correct length and run it along a wall or fence etc to your new building.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    edited July 2021
    They get REALLY hot in the summer and can get pretty chilly in winter. Stick as many solar panels on the roof as you can and get a climate control unit in there.

Run an armoured CAT 6 cable alongside the power as wifi extenders suck balls.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    rze99 said:
    How are you sorting Wi-fi? The extenders I’ve tried (sky) have been pants. Waste of space. One of my pals uses an EE Mi-Fi device so he can also take it on hols and on trains etc 
    Lan cable to router inside it for best wired connections
    or to MESH or other repeater in it

plain CAT6 is pretty resilient along walls, fences, though the air

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326

plain CAT6 is pretty resilient along walls, fences, though the air

The sheathing on standard ethernet cable won't be UV resistent, you're better off getting proper exterior grade stuff. And if you can, running it inside a conduit for good measure, as added "random damage" protection.