Our national anthem…

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    All national anthems suck. It is depressing to think how so many people are taken in by such jingoistic claptrap.

I agree with Billy Connolly's suggestion that the UK should use Barwick Green (AKA The Archers theme music).
    Can we add Flags to this as well?

Nothing more depressing than seeing adults waving flags. They should all be replaced with snotty hankies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5405
    ^ Adults don't wave flags. That's strictly an overgrown child thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30881
    edited July 2021
    There's nothing that pleases me more than promising to give up my life to save a random old woman I've never met, from a tragic and looming fate that appears to be serious, but as yet undefined, whilst ensuring her victory, in a competition I don 't even know the rules of, whilst also ensuring her happiness, without quite understanding what her personality profile is.

Yes, makes total sense.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    My favourite is the Marseillaise.
    Stirring, rousing and uptempo. Not like our funeral dirge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31520
    As a Scot, im rather found of ours ;)
    Oh Flower of Scotland, dum dum dee-dum?

It is a good one to be fair but serious question, given that it was only written in the 70s what was the Scottish anthem before that? 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    TBH, most national anthems are pretty naff.
    None of them are worth downloading.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30881
    I've loved watching the Afrikaaners in rugby....as they stumble and mumble their way through N'kosi Sikele (the new part of the anthem) only to then produce an absolutely booming rendition of 'Die Stem' - the old part of the anthem.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730
    There are some barnstorming epic anthems that really grab your attention and I’d love to be patriotic behind. GSTQ is about as far from that as you can get, it’s like sludgey swamp
    water. Not even putting on a pair of clogs and standing on top of a castle to play it can make it interesting. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I really like our National anthem as a piece of music. Decades of sporting achievement has it drilled into my mind as the sound of success, and I often feel emotional to hear it played at the Olympics.

However, the words are total pants. A load of garbage about the incumbent monarch. We need better words.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    I really like our National anthem as a piece of music. Decades of sporting achievement has it drilled into my mind as the sound of success, and I often feel emotional to hear it played at the Olympics.

However, the words are total pants. A load of garbage about the incumbent monarch. We need better words.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9695
    edited July 2021
    I thought I'd have a go at some new words to the existing tune, sing along with me if you like:

Our country is okay,
    If you can stay away,
    From Birmingham. 
    Da da da da (ascending pitch)
    We've got some hills and stuff,
    Though parts are pretty rough.
    Our PM is a bloody scruff,
    And a useless bum.

Our anthem is a bore,
    And we don't like the poor.
    It always rains
    No one defends our laws,
    Cuts to the police were forced.
    So we're all stuck forever more,
    As we don't like change.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    p90fool said:
    As a Scot, im rather found of ours ;)
    Oh Flower of Scotland, dum dum dee-dum?

It is a good one to be fair but serious question, given that it was only written in the 70s what was the Scottish anthem before that? 
    Scotland does not have an 'official' national anthem, and to my knowledge never has. Occasionally Scotland The Brave and Highland Cathedral get mentioned, however no-one can remember the words which is one of the first criteria for any anthem - easy to remember...

On Flower of Scotland - just a bit too archaic for me and not the easiest tune to sing en masse - time to move on folks...

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730
    I thought I'd have a go at some new words to the existing tune, sing along with me if you like:

Our country is okay,
    If you can stay away,
    From Birmingham. 
    We've got some hills and stuff,
    Though parts are pretty rough.
    Our PM is a bloody scruff,
    And a useless bum.

Our anthem is a bore,
    And we don't like the poor.
    It always rains
    No one defends our laws,
    Cuts to the police were forced.
    So we're all stuck forever more,
    As we don't like change.
    Nailed it!!
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    I like it.  

I don't have a problem with a monarchy in our country or the Queen herself. I think she does a lot of good for us and likely a lot more good that any of us understand. We also tend to be a bit hypocritical. We tend to knock the monarchy, but if invited to a garden party at the Palace, to meet at a civil reception, or to accept a New Years honour then most of us would accept. We'd follow the etiquette on the day and boast that 'we'd met the Queen', boring others for decades to come with stories from our big day.

Get an OBE and most of us will be splashing out on a new suit, excitedly telling friends and family, and on the day have shoes shinier than a polished diamond. We will even buy new socks, or at least for the big day wash our old ones in Daz or Persil. Not many would turn it down, or decide to stay at home accepting a postal delivery.  That's not to say anyone who's commented on here of course, who I'm sure would just throw the invite in the bin and not tell a soul about it. But, as a nation, I think most of the population would accept and would be proud to do so.

As a musical piece I find it stirs the emotions. If I was stood on a podium I know I would be a blubbering wreck, and it would be the national anthem that would kickstart it. I doubt I'd be the same hearing Jerusalem, Land of Hope and Glory, Rule Britannia or any other tune put forward as an alternative. Even at home watching others I've had a lump in my throat. Nice drumroll to begin (giving us time to pay attention), easy first two verses for us plebs to remember, ups the rousing tempo (send her victorious...), and finishes with a hearty climax (...God save the Queen!). 

I like it and happy to have it as the national anthem.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    edited July 2021
    Redlester said:

The best anthem is the Marseillesie  Mayonnaise  the French one.
    Always disappointing when it doesn't segue into All You Need Is Love though...

The Russian one is probably the best apart from that, maybe even the best.

ewal said:

Scotland does not have an 'official' national anthem, and to my knowledge never has. Occasionally Scotland The Brave and Highland Cathedral get mentioned, however no-one can remember the words which is one of the first criteria for any anthem - easy to remember...

On Flower of Scotland - just a bit too archaic for me and not the easiest tune to sing en masse - time to move on folks...
    Dougie MacLean's Caledonia would get my vote.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• underdog said:
    joeyowen said:
    Well I'm Welsh, and ours is quality!  I do find the UK anthem a bit meh.  Woo, go Queen...

As above, being Welsh means we are up there in best anthem and flag. 

As a side note do England use the UK national anthem or does the UK use England's?

As a Welshman I feel no affinity whatsoever to it. It's England's anthem about England's Royal Family. I would never sing it myself, or accept any gong or garden party invitation. Unless your a staunch royalist/unionist I doubt you'll find many in Wales or Scotland who like it, yet we have to accept it as out official anthem at events such as the Olympics, despite hearing it sung by the English when we play them at football and rugby. 

Did you know that the tradition of singing the anthem before a sporting event is believed to have been started by the Welsh who sang Hen Wlad fy Nhadau as a response to the Haka when Wales played the All Blacks in 1905. Hen Wlad fy Nhadau has certainly had me welling up a few times. 

As for what should be the UK's anthem in its place......... I think it would be almost impossible to come up with one that would please the four nations. Perhaps a wordless one like Spain have would do the trick!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    scrumhalf said:
    It may well be a bit crappy but at least it's short. There are some that go on for about half an hour. 

It isn't actually that short. We only ever hear the first verse sang at sports events, but there is more to it.
    Luckily no-one bothers with the rest of it.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 941
    Yeah it's rubbish. The Italian one is very jaunty. Most of them are too dreary.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31520
    axisus said:
    I really like our National anthem as a piece of music. Decades of sporting achievement has it drilled into my mind as the sound of success

Eh?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    It really annoys me that whenever its done at events like the Euros they always seem to come in late with the vocals and have to catch  up with the music