Replacement block for a Fender aerodyne Strat.

What's Hot
Just bought a used Fender aerodyne Stratocaster which is in near mint condition apart from where the previous snapped the trem off in the block. 

Thought it would be a simple fix of swapping the block but it seems as though due to the slimmer body of this model they used smaller trem blocks at around 40mm,  I've got one which fits the baseplate perfectly but is around 10mm too deep. 

Any ideas on what could do the job? 

was going to try and extract the remaining trem arm bit it looks as though someone has already attempted to.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Could be worth trying an easy out.

If not get yourself a hardened drill bit and a tap for the thread pitch of the trem arm you want to use and have at it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited July 2021
    Post the dimensions of the block and the spacings of the various holes. Somebody may be able to suggest a direct replacement.

Could be worth trying an Easy Out.
    For the uninitiated, Easy Out is a brand name for an extractor tool. Every good home should have a set of them … including mine! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Post the dimensions of the block and the spacings of the various holes. Somebody may be able to suggest a direct replacement.

Could be worth trying an Easy Out.
    For the uninitiated, Easy Out is a brand name for an extractor tool. Every good home should have a set of them … including mine! 
    Thank  , will order a extractor for future projects but this one has a been a bit bodged so will try and source a replacement. 

Measured the block and it comes up as

73mm length
    E to E hole 38mm 
    Height 38mm.

Not sure if this is a standard size as it's seems a bit shorter (in height) than the other trem blocks I have. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    You can get shorter blocks.  Musiclily do a range and sell on amazon.co.uk but there are other suppliers too from around 30mm, 34mm, 37mm etc.  Worth a google to find one that fits with the other dimensions.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    musicalstash said: 
    E to E hole 38mm 
    38mm can not be a correct measurement for the distance between the holes for the highest and lowest strings - not even on a Fender Tenor Tele.

It is in the ballpark for the three sustain block fastening screw holes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • musicalstash said: 
    E to E hole 38mm 
    38mm can not be a correct measurement for the distance between the holes for the highest and lowest strings - not even on a Fender Tenor Tele.

It is in the ballpark for the three sustain block fastening screw holes.
    My mistake, e to e 54mm.

Ive been looking online but struggling as the shorter blocks seem to be designed to work with the chinses squier bullets which have the shallower body but different string spacing. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    If you can;t find a drop-in swap Kev Hurley makes blocks for 20-something quid delivered, kevinh66 at hotmail-dot-co-dot-uk
    A lot of things he knows sizes of, something unusual might be best posted to him but he'll say. I've had at least four blocks & some arms from him, all as good as much more expensive ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Corvus said:
    If you can;t find a drop-in swap Kev Hurley makes blocks for 20-something quid delivered, kevinh66 at hotmail-dot-co-dot-uk
    A lot of things he knows sizes of, something unusual might be best posted to him but he'll say. I've had at least four blocks & some arms from him, all as good as much more expensive ones.
    Thanks will send him a message now. 
  • Just an quick update, on the recommendation of Corvus I contacted Kev Hurley on Thursday,  Friday my block  was posted off to be copied , today (Tuesday) my new block  arrived. 

Massive improvement over the original and fits perfectly. 

Highly recommended to anyone who is after a upgrade trem  block with a super fast no hassle service, I would have been loss without him due to the unusual size .

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Nice one. He is good, and quick with it.