SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Gibson ES-125TD

What's Hot
thinline72thinline72 Frets: 77
edited July 2021 in Guitars £
My lovely ES-125T 3/4 has found a new home, where I'm sure it'll bring a lot of joy and will fit the buyer better than me.

So I'm starting seeking for a full-size ES-125TD / ES-125TDC or ES-225TD.
I know that they are from a quite different price range (if put it gently ), but I'd love to buy a good enough ES-225TD for a decent price. I'm just not sure that it's easy to find ES-225TD nowadays and for a reasonable price.

I'm fine with small issues (some not major dents, scratches) or non-essential upgrades like tuners etc., but would like a good looking guitar without major repairments, huge cracks or visible drilled holes.

I'm looking for those with 59'-ish neck. The narrow neck width in mine ES-125T 3/4 68 is the only thing why I decided to sell it, just doesn't fit me 

And as I'm not a happy owner of ES-125, I'd prefer to get a double-pickup thinline version to keep it a bit different  ;)

I saw one ES-125T at fretsguitar, but that crack on the neck and bended tuners scare me. There is a very neat ES-125TDC at guncotton guitars, but I'm not ready to spend such money for ES-125T. I think it's a way more in a great ES-225TD price range.

If anyone is thinking of selling one of such guitars or knows where one can be bought, pleased do let me know! And if there are any advices/thoughts that you'd like to share, I'd greatly appreciate that too! Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Having owned a 225 and a couple of 125T's, I would recommend going with a 125T. Unless you're particularly taken with the 225's bridge type or are a heavy gigging player who needs the extra robustness of the 225; the 125T is a lighter, more resonant, easier to intonate accurately guitar and a more pleasurable playing experience all around. imho.

Good luck in your search, you will find one sooner or later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thinline72thinline72 Frets: 77
    Thanks a lot @JezWynd ! It's very helpful as I was getting mixed signals so far. Someone says that 125T are underrated in comparison to 225, others that 225s are of a much better build quality etc...

But hearing thoughts from someone who had experience with both models (and even several species of model) is truly great.
    I think what you say makes a lot of sense + 125T is a more budget friendly for sure.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ...I was getting mixed signals so far. Someone says that 125T are underrated in comparison to 225, others that 225s are of a much better build quality etc...
    Both those statements are true. The 225 is a very sturdy, heavy in comparison to the 125t (my 125t is 6lbs max). Remember the 125t was originally a student range guitar.
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 310
    I have a 1958 ES125T and can attest to them being fabulous guitars. Mine has the full neck profile, is super light and makes a great couch guitar as well as sounding lovely plugged in.

Keep an eye on Guncotton, Vintage and Modern (Thame) and New Kings Road Vintage as they seem to pop up on these sites reasonably regularly. I got mine from Guncotton and Clem was a total gent to deal with.

Mine’s not for sale unfortunately, (unless you have something mind-blowingly cool to trade!). But I don’t think you’re too far from me if you wanted to come and try it out to see if it’s for you.

Good luck with the search.
  • thinline72thinline72 Frets: 77
    Thanks a lot for the comments folks, they are very helpful!

@SRD81 ; thanks for the invitation, I'll definitely consider that. Although I can imagine it'll be very hard to leave your guitar after playing it  :)

As for now, I got lucky to get a gorgeous full-depth 59' ES125 from a wonderful @DB1 . I had some hesitation around full-depth body, but after holding and playing a bit that ES125 it's all gone now. It's an amazing guitar. And Dave is a great gent to deal with.

I've edited my post to include only ES125TD as I'd still love to get my hand at those at some point. I still regret I hesitated and didn't buy one from TNAG recently. I think it'd be great to own both ES125 and ES125TD. Amazing guitars but still more-or-less affordable.

As for now, I'm going to enjoy my recent acquisition! It's very inspiring guitar, huge thanks to Dave again.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    No problem Sava, it was a pleasure - and that ES-125 is absolutely superb. The fretboard wasn't as wide as the thinline that I had (that we spoke about at the time) and not as chunky as the neck on the other ES-125 that I recently had - the neck on yours is so comfortable and the new frets are so sympathetic to the guitar that you'd think that they were original.

You sounded great with it, and  I hope you love it. If not, you know where I am. :)
    Call me Dave.
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 706
    For the OP or anyone following this thread, there’s a reissue 225 on Gumtree and these don’t come up often. No affiliation with the seller

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2014-gibson-1959-historic-225-vos/1412258453?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom