SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB 12 fret metal body National Resonator

As above! What have you fellas got  B)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KDSKDS Frets: 221
    edited August 2021
    I’ve a mint Beltona single cone which I don’t use. I also have a Beltona tri cone which is the one I use. The single cone doesn’t have a mark on it, it’s an early one few serial numbers from the EC, Micheal J Fox, Richard Gear owed one
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 735
    edited September 2021
    Not a National obviously but I have a Regal RC51 tricone, a Chinese version of a National Style 1. Not sure but I think other labels might get their Style 1 type guitars from the same Chinese factory before marketing under their own label which is a common enough marketing model for a lot of mid-range guitars as you will all be aware. I'm quite happy with it except gosh it's heavy. Plated bell brass body. I don't ever play with a strap as they annoy my neck, but I suspect that might be the solution. Playing sitting I have to play it on a sofa or in the classical position with a footstool under my left foot. In the usual acoustic position on the right leg it just slips off.

My 2y old grand-daughter loves it and even now calls it 'her' guitar! It's pretty toddler-proof and so far she hasn't dislodged any of the cones.

Looks and sounds lovely but the nicest thing about it is its cost! £799 when I bought it from Hobgoblin Music in 2019, whereas an actual National Style 1 costs about £3.8K new currently. 

Owning? Yep I think it's a keeper. Fun to play. I don't play resonator enough to warrant a more expensive instrument. Certain pieces sound really good on it. Elizabeth Cotten pieces sound nice. Took me a while to discover that you really don't need heavy gauge strings on it to get a good sound as per consensus advice. Back in the pre-electric 1920's, resonators were an attempt to increase the volume of the guitar when competing with the other instruments in dance orchestras. But if you don't want to play loud, you don't need the heavier 'resonator' strings particularly IMHO. And if you did want to play it loudly now you'd probably want to buy one with a pickup! Also Monel strings sounded unremarkable on it. Didn't have to do much to it apart from luthier friend lowering the action a little.

Teaching Granny how to suck eggs stuff but, if you've not had a resonator before, remember not to take all the strings off prior to string changes. Pressure from the strings is the only thing holding the cones down.

I've never played a National Style 1 so I can offer no comparison with the instrument which very obviously inspired the Regal RC-51.

Hope you find what you want.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Pm sent
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    PM Sent