How to post pics, Dropbox

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
edited September 2021 in Help & Feedback
Note that Dropbox isn't really designed as an image hosting service to support embedding of images elsewhere, so it's not as straightforward as -eg- imgur.  But it's not hard to workaround the restrictions, and this method doesn't need editing of the links that are automatically generated.

From Windows/OSX devices and iPad, via a browser
  1. Login to your account at Dropbox.com
  2. Display the list of files/etc that you've uploaded and find the file (image) that you want to share
  3. As you hover the mouse point over the file name, it is highlighted and action options appear to the right
  4. Choose the "copy link" option - the link is automatically copied to the clipboard
  5. You now need to edit the link slightly, either in a text editor, or you can paste it into the text editor here
  6. At the end of the copied link, replace "dl=0" with "raw=1"
  7. Re-copy the amended link, and then paste that  into the attach image/file pop-up here.

It should be that simple,  but if it doesn't work, try plan B that's listed out here.

From iPad, via a browser

The Safari browser seem to work slightly differently on an iPad.  Safari has an extra option in the menu list (LHS of page once you've logged into to Dropbox.com).  That option is "Photos", which you might think would be the option to use.   It isn't!   

Use the file browser view instead, click on the file (image) you want to share - instead of hovering your mouse over it - and then follow the steps above.  When you paste the link into the pop-up window here, press space rather than enter. 

From iPad, via DropBox app

From Android, via DropBox app
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    DROPBOX

How I put pictures in Dropbox and then put link into my Fretboard comments from my Android phone:
    1 Take photo with phone
    2 Resize photo using suitable free Android app from Playstore.
    I use "images easy resizer". Download it and open it. Select multiple image resize (Third one down) It shows you your various photo directories, select one or more photos to resize. Press Ok and choose size. I use 960 x auto(retain ratio). App resizes the selected photos, gives them names with date stamp in the title and puts them into a 'resized images' directory.
    3 Upload to Dropbox.
    Set up your Dropbox account on the Dropbox website. Download the Dropbox app and open it. Press the Android menu key (bottom left on a Samsung, the one that brings up app-specific menus). Select 'upload files here'. I then select Other files (NOT Photos because we need to select the 'resized photos' folder). Scroll down to the 'images easy resizer' directory, then the 'resized images' subdirectory. Tick each thumbnail of the photos you want to upload. Press Upload and watch progress bars...
    4 Put link in draft Fretboard comment.
    When upload complete, select the first photo whose link you want to copy by pressing the down arrow on the right. Select Share then select Copy Link. Switch over to your draft Fretboard comment. Select Paste. Edit and change the end of the pasted link by replacing "?dl=0" with "?raw=1".
    Repeat step4 until you've created, copied and edited each link into your draft Fretboard comment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Just to emphasise the key point in the instructions above, to embed an image from Dropbox into a forum post, you need to slightly edit the link from Dropbox.

Use insert image button here, and paste the link.

Right at the end of the link, replace "?dl=0" with "?raw=1".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks. When back home I'll set up a Dropbox account and post some pics. Thanks for your help
  • stand_madestand_made Frets: 57
    Hi. I have tried to load up images using the new instructions from @digitalscream " ....Make it dl=1 at the end" but when I try to edit the URL it won't let me & just disappears?
    Oak & Bespoke Guitar Stands & Racks made in Shropshire, England.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    @stand_made - as I said in the other thread, you just need to edit the URL before pasting (in Notepad, or the address bar of a new tab in your browser).
    <space for hire>
  • stand_madestand_made Frets: 57
    Ah, I didn't seem to get a notification or see your reply on the thread a moment ago. Many thanks.
    Oak & Bespoke Guitar Stands & Racks made in Shropshire, England.
  • gawfshotgawfshot Frets: 0
    where is the start a new thread/post sticky?
  • I wrote a how-to on automatically upload pictures Dropbox, and fix up the urls so they work, as in @Chalky’s post.  

https://www.cultofmac.com/491812/replace-photobucket-sharing-automatic-dropbox-action/

It’s iOS-only, and you have to use the free Workflow app, but it makes stuff a lot easier. 
  • I wrote a how-to on automatically upload pictures Dropbox, and fix up the urls so they work, as in @Chalky’s post.  

https://www.cultofmac.com/491812/replace-photobucket-sharing-automatic-dropbox-action/

It’s iOS-only, and you have to use the free Workflow app, but it makes stuff a lot easier. 
    Your how to is really good. Workflow is called shortcuts now but it works the same. Only problem I had was  the editing of the text is case sensitive but once that was sorted it worked a treat. Thanks I can now post pics 

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Still a bit tricky but I done it
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    edited February 2020
  • I just ran into a problem whereby an image hosted in Dropbox, and posted to tFB using the method in @Chalky 's post, failed to render on some browsers - at least Safari on MacOS / iOS.  Sharing here in case this helps others.

After a bit of Googling, I fixed the problem by changing the domain of the image URL from www.dropbox.com to dl.dropboxusercontent.com.  So the ball-ache of Dropbox posting just got a bit more painful :s  
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    edited August 2021
    After some extensive diagnostic work with @wrinkleygit ;; over the weekend, here's a bit of an update on linked to images hosted on Dropbox.

This works on PC/Mac platforms.  

NB, this is using standard (free) Dropbox, and accessing via a browser rather than the Dropbox app.

It's a bit tortuous, but then Dropbox is intended more as a file-sharing service to support collaborative working (etc) rather than as an image host.  But you can make it work ...
    1. Upload the images to a dedicated Dropbox folder
    2. In Dropbox, select the option to copy a link to that album/folder
    3. Log OUT of Dropbox - that's the critical step, the rest doesn't work unless you log OUT  first
    4. Paste the copied link into a browser window
    5. You should now see thumbnails of the images in the linked folder in your browser
    6. Right click on a thumbnail to open it
    7. Click on the opened image and select "copy image address"
    8. Paste the copied link into the "attach image/file" pop-up here 

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    edited August 2021
    The following works for me (on Windows) and is perhaps simpler.

Copy the link in Dropbox, using the Dropbox functionality (i.e. not by right clicking on the image). It should look something like this (without the curly brackets which I have inserted because I could not get the links to display as plain text):

Paste the link into your post and change the 'dl=0' at the end to 'raw=1':

• Does it still work the previous way to do it? I ask because when I try to create a dedicated folder on Dropbox that I can use for posting pics here, it insists that I use an email address for whoever I want it to be seen by before it'll create the new folder.

So I'm stuck with the old way.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Not a pic but, being new, I can't find how to create a new thread. It may be quite simple but I can't see it :) 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Mellish said:
    Not a pic but, being new, I can't find how to create a new thread. It may be quite simple but I can't see it :) 
    @Mellish - big purple button near top left - "New Discussion".  

• Or the speech bubble top right, if you're on the mobile site.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Many thanks @Nitefly :)