Drum Machine. Basic as f*ck but half decent?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
edited September 2021 in Studio & Recording
Hi all. I love the sounds on this pedal, and the simplicity of it. Turn the knobs, flick the switch.

Is there anything close to this nowadays?

I use VST electro plugins, but find I have to go in and quantize after the fact (on a windows machine) and it can take a while.

Feeding a pedal like the above into the computer would save a whole lot of time and frustration. I am not one to go in and out of menus deep diving etc.

Other option, but I am not sure could be something like the Akai Professional MPD218 , but maybe that just does the exact same thing as a midi keyboard, only it's pads and not keys and it doesn't look like you can loop what you play.

The Arturia keystep 37 also looks like it could be a solution if I needed a keyboard...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    You might find a phone app has that functionality and is much cheaper.

ive got quite a few iOS drummer apps that sound great, are quick to set up patterns or modify existing ones, can tap a pattern in quickly via screen and have lots of drum sounds.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    You might find a phone app has that functionality and is much cheaper.

ive got quite a few iOS drummer apps that sound great, are quick to set up patterns or modify existing ones, can tap a pattern in quickly via screen and have lots of drum sounds.
    Any recommendations? I had one years ago imaschine which was ok.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Arturia iSpark on iPad is what I use and it’s great, simple like a hardware machine but enough when you need it. 
  • dindude said:
    Arturia iSpark on iPad is what I use and it’s great, simple like a hardware machine but enough when you need it. 
    I will check this out. I have been impressed with their products.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    dindude said:
    I will check this out. I have been impressed with their products.
    Indeed, I bought the mini brute hardware but actually the flexibility and convenience of the iPad version for what I needed made me sell it.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    I've got ispark but have never even opened it up! Will have to have a do
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    edited September 2021
    I came across this video earlier which is what I am looking to do in theory, but a standalone player would be ok too. Video is called "drum machine style", which I think might solve some of my problems!

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    volca beats
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some really fun and easy to use iOS drum machines:
    Dot Drummer
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/dot-drummer-drum-with-beats/id939518233

Figure
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/figure-make-music-beats/id511269223

also the Elektron: Cycles. Lots of fun and easy to use 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I will check them out!
  • Funk box is ace ,it has vintage Roland etc and a linn drum . iOS 
  • Fingerlab DM-1 is easy to program. The desktop version offers plenty of usable sounds. The smartphone app probably charges for some of these as in-app purchases

I love some of the old Roland TR series drum machines but not enough to pay the subscriptions to access the virtual versions.

I use VST electro plugins but find I have to go in and quantize after the fact (on a windows machine) and it can take a while.
    If you require quantised step time rhythm patterns, just use your DAW's "snap to" function in the MIDI grid editor. Draw your beats with the computer mouse or trackpad.

If you are using an artificial intelligence algorithm to generate drum parts, use its Swing/shuffle parameter(s) to humanise the drumming.

Meanwhile, editing the opening post turned the playable YouTube video into an unplayable thumbnail. 
    Be seeing you.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    If you want to go proper old school, I've got an old Dr Rhythm on the shelf ...
  • Fingerlab DM-1 is easy to program. The desktop version offers plenty of usable sounds. The smartphone app probably charges for some of these as in-app purchases

I love some of the old Roland TR series drum machines but not enough to pay the subscriptions to access the virtual versions.

I use VST electro plugins but find I have to go in and quantize after the fact (on a windows machine) and it can take a while.
    If you require quantised step time rhythm patterns, just use your DAW's "snap to" function in the MIDI grid editor. Draw your beats with the computer mouse or trackpad.

If you are using an artificial intelligence algorithm to generate drum parts, use its Swing/shuffle parameter(s) to humanise the drumming.

Meanwhile, editing the opening post turned the playable YouTube video into an unplayable thumbnail. 
    I edited the original link just now. I like the idea of the Fingerlab. Drag and drop to create a song etc. I did find a Reaper video with some instructions on how to quantize while recording and to loop it to add to the recorded part etc, so that should help for now as well.
    I also have a free VST plugin called MT Power Drums with a library of grooves. I dropped in a groove and replace the VST with an electro one e.g. a Roland TR type kit, and it seems to work too, so a few options discovered since my original post.
  • Alesis SR16 + effects pedals ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SR16 with effects. Best Drum machine ever. The telecaster of the Drum Machine world. Probably 30 years since I bought my first one, recently bought another brand new exactly the same. 
  • I've had two SR16's, simple, easy to use and decent sounds..... But both slowly crept out of time.... 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    What about an Adrenalinn 2. Drums, sync beats, effects and guitar simulations - an All-in-one OR, an Alesis SR16
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, I picked up a used Alesis SR16. Now to learn how to use it.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Hi all. I love the sounds on this pedal, and the simplicity of it. Turn the knobs, flick the switch.

Is there anything close to this nowadays?

I use VST electro plugins, but find I have to go in and quantize after the fact (on a windows machine) and it can take a while.

Feeding a pedal like the above into the computer would save a whole lot of time and frustration. I am not one to go in and out of menus deep diving etc.

Other option, but I am not sure could be something like the Akai Professional MPD218 , but maybe that just does the exact same thing as a midi keyboard, only it's pads and not keys and it doesn't look like you can loop what you play.

The Arturia keystep 37 also looks like it could be a solution if I needed a keyboard...
    By the sound of it the EHX drum machine in the video must be the one Low used on Drums & Guns.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience