Jimmy Greaves RIP

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Will always be the tv show version to me as before my time. Stick one in for me Jimmy. 
  • Yep. For me I only knew through Saint and Greavsie which was a really fun programme. But he was obviously a fantastic striker as well.

RIP
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    It's a funny old game.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
    tFB Trader
    I dare say his best days were before my time - I recall little before 69/70 season - What I do recall and a few video clips support this, is that he often 'passed' the ball in the net - None of this kick the crap out of it and miss

Did not realise he started of at Chelsea

Some of his stats are excellent 

A great servant to the game - RIP Greavesie
  • What a player. His goals per game ratio for England is staggering and still holds the record for most goals in the English top flight.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    A truly maginificent player.

To think that he did this when White Hart Lane was a mudbath covered in sand for half the season, when the ball was like a Christmas pudding when it was wet, when you couldn't goal-hang in an offside position and then step back onside when play came near you and when defenders could legally sever limbs with their tackles.

He believed that it was his job to score goals and not get back and defend. After one game he was rounded on by Spurs manager Bill Nicholson in the dressing room - "you did nothing today apart from scoring those four goals".

He was my idol when I first took an interest in the game.

This goal against Man Utd is legendary.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    RIP Jimmy Greaves. Talent, personality and humour.
    Call me Dave.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
    tFB Trader
    Just heard a stat yesterday on the Chelsea/Spurs match - In the top 5 leagues in Europe - Only Messi and Ronaldo have scored more goals than Jimmy - That is some statement

In the top flight English league - he was at least 2 good seasons ahead of Shearer - 357 goals v 287 goals and did it with less games - 516 games v 559 games -That equates to almost one less season 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    He was one of those strange cases where I saw Saint & Greavsie on TV a lot and really enjoyed their banter, and only subsequently found out that he was an amazing footballer. 

Lovely genial chap. Must have been devastating to be left out for our 66 World cup win.