Alan Lancaster RIP

What's Hot
https://youtu.be/ddvAVb_YKgQ
The hard edge of Quo that gave the band the rock has passed away. So sad. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    :(

He did look very fragile even on the Frantic Four reunion tour, which was eight years ago now, and it was a shock that Rick Parfitt went first, but this is still very sad. I'm very glad I saw them then - and they were great, it was almost exactly like the classic '77 Live! album.

He was a big part of my childhood really - I always loved that harder side of Quo, and they were never the same band after he and John Coghlan left. That battered Mustang Bass has been the source of a lot of great music.

RIP

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sad news, I saw the reunion FF line up in 2013.  Agree with ICBM above, not the same at all after the original rhythm section left.  The DVD of the reunion tour will be watched today (with the FF rehearsals etc on it)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That is sad news. I love the early Quo sound with him and Coghlan, and have very fond memories of seeing him and Parfitt play with Coghlan's band at the Marquee just a couple of days before Live Aid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited September 2021
    That's sad news.  Although I'm sure Rhino has actually been in the band much longer (as so often is the case in bands which go on for 40, 50 or 60 years), I always think of Status Quo as those four guys in the picture at the top of the thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Integral part of a truly great live rock band. Glad to have seen you perform. RIP.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    The band were at their best for me with Alan on board. Their best music and he looked the part!

Rhino was a good bassist, but he just never looked right to me with a headless Status. 

RIP Alan
  • It was rhino when I saw them late 80s early 90s , didn’t they call Alan ‘the Turk ‘ or was that John 

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 366
    edited September 2021
    John was the Mad Turk due to his wrapping a towel around his head and shoulders on coming off stage presumably rather hot and sweaty - the energy of those shows back in the day was incredible. My first gig was Quo at Hammersmith on the Blue For You tour in 1975 aged 15. Set the standard for me for high energy rock and rock that few have matched (L&D era Lizzy did). Piledriver to Blue For You is the real stuff for me. RIP or maybe in loud rock n roll Alan and Rick
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!

didn’t they call Alan ‘the Turk ‘ or was that John 
    Alan Lancaster was Nuff, John Coghlan was Spud or the Turk.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited September 2021
    I lost my 'gig-virginity' to Status Quo back in 1973. They were on their Piledriver four and feck they were LOUD!
    They were a brilliant live act back then and Coghlan and Lancaster were just an utter powerhouse of a rhythm section.
    Those early Quo gigs and albums were the very best of times.
    RIP Alan and thanks for such great memories.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Love me a bit of early rockin' Quo. 12 Gold Bars and Just Supposin'  were the first records I ever bought.

Thanks for the tunes guys.
    equalsql said:

[Status Quo - Roadhouse Blues, Live 1970]
    The Mustang Bass when it still had paint!