Greg Gilbert

I know he'd been seriously ill for quite a while, there was a crowdfunder back in 2016 for treatment etc., but this one has come as a bit of a shock. 44 is no age whatsoever.

I got to know the Delays a bit back in my younger days in Southampton, not too long after Faded Seaside Glamour came out. Greg always seemed a good lad, and was an amazing artist (check out his biro drawings if you have a spare 5 mins). 

Thoughts are with his family right now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-58756748
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    I saw them live on the tour for I think the second album back in the day. 

Really great underrated band. 

Didn't even no he was ill, so sad.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26916
    This one hurts. I absolutely loved Faded Seaside Glamour and they were great live. Very sad news
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Agree with all this. Greg was a total triple threat - writer, singer, player.

I love the Delays and I'll miss Greg dearly.

• ianian Frets: 17
    Came as a shock to me when I saw the news on the BBC's web site this morning - I didn't know he was ill.

Although I never saw the band, how could I not buy the wonderful "Faded Seaside Glamour" after hearing "Nearer Than Heaven". That track, just like "There She Goes" by the Las, is a piece of pop perfection.

He was taken cruelly early, and my heart goes out to his family and friends, and everybody else for whom his passing has left a hole. RIP Greg.
  • I remember hearing Nearer Than Heaven a few times on the radio and being immediately hooked by his voice and the wonderful harmonies. I knew I had to get it despite not catching the name of the band. I was looking at the first 2 LPs that I have on CD the other day and wondering what became of the band. I had no idea he was unwell. So sad.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Sad loss of a wonderful musician and songwriter, made genuinely gorgeous pop songs and hopefully they will stand the test of time as they deserve to.

One of a handful of indie bands from the early 2000s I go back to and they were as good as I thought they were at the time.

RIP Greg :(
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...