Another beat making thread

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
edited October 2021 in Studio & Recording
There's a similar thread going but wanted to ask some specifics and some more basic questions. There are a lot of options and being new to the whole DAW thing, it's a bit overwhelming.

For recording regular rock songs, I'm using Reaper with a HX Stomp, and EZDrummer2, which is excellent. I've picked up the basics of Reaper by now. 

But for the more ambient/ lofi stuff I'd like to record, the EZdrummmer sounds are too full on, I'd like to create more downbeat or electronic/drum machine sounds. I like electronic music too so perhaps to dabble into that too. The the options from what I can see are:

-Buy a drum machine and connect to Reaper, record whilst playing the thing?  (eg Volca beat, Drumbrute, Roland TR-6 etc)

-Buy a Midi Controller, with pads any maybe keys, which would also allow me to experiment with synth sounds etc. Find a plug for the drum sounds/synths, control with MIDI controller? 

- Some other form of program or plug in that does not require external hardware?

-Another option, something like the Rainger FX Snare Trap. 

I've found some nice beatmaking apps on my Ipad, but not sure if these could be used in Reaper. Perhaps if you can save them as a Wav and transfer?

I quite like the idea of having a drum machine or midi controller/keys to play around with, but there are oh so many, and do they work well with Reaper?  I've read that the Nektar Impact LX25+ works well with Reaper

Can anyone point me in a sensible direction? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    Maschine has a lot going for it and the option to have a controller or even standalone tool. I think Akai just did a small machine as well. I have a couple Elektron pieces which I love and normally have DAW integration as well. 

I can highly recommend both Maschine and Elektron kit. Both will have no issues with reaper as well afaik. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Buy an Atom or Atom SQ, with which you'll get a free Studio One Artist licence, and tons of sample sets for the excellent and also included, Impact XT? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I use battery for this, it comes with a decent selection of electronic sounds and I got it as part of komplete anyway. Failing that though there are literally tons of free 808 and 909 VSTs. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • pm'd
  • Thanks all. There's a hell of a lot of options out there, I could spend so many hours on youtube...... makes guitar pedals seem very straightforward!

I've been kindly sorted with an Akai controller by @woodandwires , so will tentatively dip my toe into the midi ocean and see where it takes me. 

• But for the more ambient/ lofi stuff I'd like to record, the EZdrummmer sounds are too full on, I'd like to create more downbeat or electronic/drum machine sounds. I like electronic music too so perhaps to dabble into that too. The the options from what I can see are:

Download this:

https://decomposer.de/sitala/

Get some samples and start pissing about. I love Sitala because it is so basic compared to something like Geist 2 (thanks to Mr Drew for that one) but this is also a positive for when you're starting out. I also like it for chucking and chopping other samples and seeing what happens. 

I quite like the idea of having a drum machine or midi controller/keys to play around with, but there are oh so many, and do they work well with Reaper?  I've read that the Nektar Impact LX25+ works well with Reaper

It does indeed. I've bought the LX25+ and LX61+ this year and moved away from NI and I like the Nektar aproach to things. Quite like I'll buy the Pacer foot controller in the future and maybe this...

https://nektartech.com/nektar-aura-beat-composer/

• You know for some of the stuff on the last album I jsut dropped samples straight onto DAW tracks and chopped them up. Cant really get any simpler than that 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Heartfeltdawn said:

Download this:

https://decomposer.de/sitala/

Get some samples and start pissing about. I love Sitala because it is so basic compared to something like Geist 2 (thanks to Mr Drew for that one) but this is also a positive for when you're starting out. I also like it for chucking and chopping other samples and seeing what happens. 

It does indeed. I've bought the LX25+ and LX61+ this year and moved away from NI and I like the Nektar aproach to things. Quite like I'll buy the Pacer foot controller in the future and maybe this...

https://nektartech.com/nektar-aura-beat-composer/
    Thanks, I'll try Sitala when I get the controller, looks exactly what I'm after.
    It has just occurred to me that my daughters Casio CTS300 keyboard is midi - will see if I can get any joy connecting it with Reaper. Let's see how it goes, the Nektar stuff looks great though. 

• I've made major progress with the Akai Lpd8. I've managed to connect it to Reaper and produce sounds via Sitala. I've recorded some beats and edited them with the midi screen 'thing'. Initially, I had no idea what to do, but thanks to a Kenny Gioia video, I managed it. His tutorial videos are priceless. 

Now I'm looking for other drum kits/samples to use beyond the 808 that comes with the Sitala. I guess I need to start building a library of kits and samples. Where do I start, any suggestions? 
  • Try the Goldbaby free packs for starters. 

https://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bye!