I want to make a racket with POST-ROCK drum samples - any recommendations?

What's Hot
ijontyijonty Frets: 32
edited July 2021 in Studio & Recording
Hi folks

I'm looking for sample packs that would give me a post-rock sound (like Sigur Ros, Godspeed You Black Emperor, that sort of genre).

This is the kind of thing, but of course I'm always keen to see if I can save cash with something in the public domain. Does anyone have any recommendations?

If I was a pro, I could maybe make these sounds myself. But sadly, I'm a total amateur and any attempt to do anything from reverb upwards ends in failure! J

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Surely, that pack fits the bill perfectly, just bite the bullet.
    OTOH, try layering something like LABS drums with either SSD5 free, or MTpower drums (free), to get something.
    It will sound a little weird, IMO, if you don't add some reverb post anyway, at least to the bass, and something like Valhalla supermassive (free) can add some very interesting verb to glue it all in the same space.
    If you are specifically looking for the more unusual damped, brushed, bowed stuff, the pack might be good value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    The cheapest place I have found Toontrack packs is from Time+Space. https://www.timespace.com/products/toontrack-ezx-post-rock

Probably worth getting it for the £39 & adding the separate drum midi pack & you should have a lot of bases covered. https://www.toontrack.com/product/post-rock-grooves/

Obviously you need to have a Toontrack EZ Drummer plugin for it to work & play through.
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Thanks @andy_k and @duotone. I think you're right. I need to move away from the idea of trying to find free stuff everywhere. I spend hours searching for things, failing to get downloads to work, then even when I do get stuff, I immediately forget where I've saved it!

As you say Andy, I could try the alternative approach you suggest. I just have such a low view of my ability to create sounds by layering and actually understanding reverb, ADSR, filters, compression and all that sort of stuff!

I guess that's the choice, spend time learning the trade so you can do a nice job yourself, or spend money so someone does it for you. Probably the former is better, but the latter is quicker!

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3599
    They sound like pretty average drums with OTT reverb and EQ.  MT Power drums are free and quite heavy sounding as a basis.

What are you using for drums now?  Maybe experiment with processing them first.   
    They sound like pretty average drums with OTT reverb and EQ.  MT Power drums are free and quite heavy sounding as a basis.

What are you using for drums now?  Maybe experiment with processing them first.   

To be honest, I'm such a beginner that I haven't got any current set-up at all. I've downloaded SSD5 free, I have LABS, and also Sitala, but because I'm new to this, I don't really know where to start with processing. Which is why I end up using some dry default samples, then get disheartened because they all sound like I'm hitting a baking tray with a fork.

Maybe I just need to put the time in and learn the craft a bit!

duotone said:
    The cheapest place I have found Toontrack packs is from Time+Space. https://www.timespace.com/products/toontrack-ezx-post-rock

Probably worth getting it for the £39 & adding the separate drum midi pack & you should have a lot of bases covered. https://www.toontrack.com/product/post-rock-grooves/

Obviously you need to have a Toontrack EZ Drummer plugin for it to work & play through.
    Would the demo version of EZ Drummer work, or would I need the paid version? I can’t tell from the site. 

• Have you tried https://ugritone.com/ ?
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    I'd recommend getting EZ Drummer or SD3 as they're so much more than just sample players. 

I've scraped together thousands of MIDI drum files over the years that I've imported into the plugin. I use the tap-to-find feature to search them and it never fails to turn out something usable.  SD3 is an incredible tool and I could never be without it. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Bod said:
    I'd recommend getting EZ Drummer or SD3 as they're so much more than just sample players. 

I've scraped together thousands of MIDI drum files over the years that I've imported into the plugin. I use the tap-to-find feature to search them and it never fails to turn out something usable.  SD3 is an incredible tool and I could never be without it. 
    Agreed. I’ve not imported external midi files yet, is it a simple task? Drag and drop or just reference a directory?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    I just drop them in a new folder with the other SD midi files and it picks them up.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    ijonty said:
    duotone said:

Would the demo version of EZ Drummer work, or would I need the paid version? I can’t tell from the site. 
    The demo version is limited to 10 days, so yes you would need the paid version to use it along with the Post-Rock EZX sound expansion: https://www.toontrack.com/product/post-rock-ezx/

From the Toontrack website:
    “Note: The demo version of EZdrummer 2 works for ten days. It’s a separate installation that doesn’t overwrite any previous iteration of EZdrummer you may have installed. All software features are fully functional but only part of the full core sound library is included.”
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    I think I made a lot of use of EZdrummer2 and the post rock pack on this track. Drums take a while to get going, but hopefully give you an idea of what's possible. EZdrummer2 is easily one of the best music equipment purchases I've made.

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    Only just seen this, sounds great!

• NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    Watch some of Bobby Huff’s vids on YouTube. He shows off some neat tricks with snares and kicks etc. 
    Good content. Worth a sub for sure.