Small mixers with per channel pre-fade/EQ direct outs?

SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
edited October 2021 in Studio & Recording
Do such things exist?

I'm thinking of a mixer with 4-8 XLR or combo inputs that has the same number of direct outs so you could send the EQ/mixed feed to a PA, but a DI signal to an audio interface for recording. And that doesn't cost the GDPR of a small country.

Is that a pipe dream for which there's no real need at the hobbiest end of the spectrum?

Irrelevant backgound
Currently practicing work avoidance and contemplating the near future when I'm going to be lucky enough to set up a (more or less) dedicated practice/recording space at home. Which will involve gradual accumulation of new toys.

Following conversations elsewhere, I'm thinking a setup as above would be best of both worlds for having some kind of basic PA in the room for jamming along, small rehearsals, vocals etc. but would rather have a 'pure' feed to the computer for recording without having to fart about re-plugging everything for different purposes.

It's not a huge space, and realistically I'm unlikely to need more than 4-6 input channels simultaneously (no mic'ing up drum kits or anything) so I don't need a massive 24 channel Soundcraft desk or similar. Just a mixer that I can send individual channel feeds through to a Scarlett or similar, or even one with a decent built-in i/f that can be configured to be pre-EQ/fader rather than post (can't find out whether the Behringer thing that has a 1:1 in/out on the i/f has pre- or post- from anything I've read, and assume it's post).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A while back I set up a home studio for a friend (drummer). He had a Mackie 1402 VLZ3 desk which was very flexible and could do what you're asking. It has 6 'inset' jacks on the back corresponding to the 6 main mic/line channels but these are dual purpose - if you only click a mono jack 'half way' into the TRS socket it gives you a channel direct out (post gain and low cut, pre eq) without breaking the signal path to the rest of the channel strip.

All in all, quite compact for the flexibility of routing options. I managed to set up a multitrack recording process with independent outputs to the recorder and a seperate monitor mix output to headphones for the band (instruments were all DI'd, drums live in the room on 4 mics).
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    That looks interesting. Forgive my ignorance but is it a "bodge" only using a partially inserted jack (as in, a happy accident), or is that actually by design, and therefore makes a good solid reliable connection?
  • No, it's designed like that - I found out by reading the manual! :)
  • Oh, and it was a fairly positive 'click' into the half-way position.
    Reading the manual? WTF is that all about? :D

Thanks, it's now on the list ...

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3597
    edited October 2021
    Both my band’s mixers do that digitally.. either direct to DAW/Ipad with one as multitrack interface or onto USB as Individual WAV files with the rack mixer.    Would bypass your scarlett too.

They do a smaller version of our desk with pre-strip USB inserts.
    @Stratavarious Thanks - I'd always assumed that on those kind of things the USB sends would be post-EQ/post-fade but have just skimmed the manual for the Soundcraft and it appears I should learn the lesson about assumption. Looks like I may have more choice than I thought.
  • Snags said:
    @Stratavarious Thanks - I'd always assumed that on those kind of things the USB sends would be post-EQ/post-fade but have just skimmed the manual for the Soundcraft and it appears I should learn the lesson about assumption. Looks like I may have more choice than I thought.
    It’s great.. we get a killer live sound and then afterwards we have all the pure DIs from the performance to work on in DAW for promos, etc.

The fun part is the USB returns, so you can mix it all old school style manually with the faders and knobs.