Brass and woodwind plugins advice needed

What's Hot
I'm looking for some good brass and woodwind sounds for recording. I've been writing a few old RnB type things and I'd like to have  Blues Brothers type horn section available.

I do not want to program anything - I'd rather have a keyboard and play the parts.

Can anyone recommend a sensibly priced keyboard / controller and an easy to use compatible plugin?

ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    If you want to 'synthesise' woodwind sounds, the old Korg Prophecy comes to mind. If you want to use sample libraries, Dave Stewart wrote a series in SoS a while back: part 1.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BBC Spitfire will give you orchestra quality sounds for free I think.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited October 2021
    Controller - imo the best value ones are the Native instruments Komplete A series. I have the A61, it's the best controller I've had. Less than 200 quid.

For brass stuff I use Kontakt - I have Komplete 13 Ultimate and it comes with a load of brass and woodwind stuff that sounds very good. All playable and you can use the mod wheel for dynamics.

This track used both the above, to give you an example of the brass sounds - I think it sounds reasonably real, and I just used the key velocity to get the expressions. Think I may have edited the midi a bit to get a more forceful sound in some parts.

I don't know if that helps. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Snap said:
    Controller - imo the best value ones are the Native instruments Komplete A series. I have the A61, it's the best controller I've had. Less than 200 quid.

For brass stuff I use Kontakt - I have Komplete 13 Ultimate and it comes with a load of brass and woodwind stuff that sounds very good. All playable and you can use the mod wheel for dynamics.

This track used both the above, to give you an example of the brass sounds - I think it sounds reasonably real, and I just used the key velocity to get the expressions. Think I may have edited the midi a bit to get a more forceful sound in some parts.

I don't know if that helps. 
    That sounds fantastic!

Lovely!

I best find some money then!
    Ooof - that software is somewhat pricey!

Not sure I want to spend a grand.

They keyboard controller looks great though. But I'll have to have a look for alternative software.
    edited October 2021
    Cheers! 
    If you get the keyboard, you get Komplete Essentials with it, which I think, comes with some neat factory brass and woodwind. The software bundled is actually really good. Just check on the NI website, but their freebies are good.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    BBC Spitfire will give you orchestra quality sounds for free I think.
    This.

I have a lot of paid Spitfire libraries but the free one is highly useable if you don't need a lot of articulation.
  • BBC Spitfire will give you orchestra quality sounds for free I think.
    Are they appropriate for pop/soul/funk though? 
    Some classical libraries wrong in this genre
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    BBC Spitfire will give you orchestra quality sounds for free I think.
    Are they appropriate for pop/soul/funk though? 
    Some classical libraries wrong in this genre
    It depends on what articulations you want.
    The sounds are important, but at the same time they don't have to be completely perfect for my composing process. Would be nice if they are. but playing in a big band gives me the advantage of access to some great reed and brass players for when I want to record it properly.

I'll just invite them round for a pizza and stick a good mic in the middle of the room!

Just sign this release...
    Snap said:
    Cheers! 
    If you get the keyboard, you get Komplete Essentials with it, which I think, comes with some neat factory brass and woodwind. The software bundled is actually really good. Just check on the NI website, but their freebies are good.
    Ace!

Now the main issue - how do I sneak a big keyboard in the house.

Even my wife will realise it's not a "What? I've had this guitar for years - it was in its case..."
    Snap said:
    Cheers! 
    Ace!

Now the main issue - how do I sneak a big keyboard in the house.

Even my wife will realise it's not a "What? I've had this guitar for years - it was in its case..."
    That my friend is all our challenge! history tells me the best approach is honesty!! 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited November 2021
    Session Horns (normal and pro) is on sale on NI website.. U can get these in komplete bundle which is better value, but if u only want one virtual instrument, this works.
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/e-instruments-offer-2021/

better yet. you can get it on KVR for even cheaper buying a secondhand license..