Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend Me A Practice Combo Amp

What's Hot
sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297

So I'm after a practice combo amp for home use and easy transportation, up to £200, anything around 20w, not bothered either way about built-in FX, but I suppose it wouldn't be a bad thing, I'd value audio quality over effects, though. Solid state is fine, and it doesn't need to be a shred box either, just not hissy or tinny or built awfully.

Any opinons/advice would be appreciated, even if it's simply "don't bother with x"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    If cleans are what you are after Mustangs are pretty good. 
    If you want the option to gig it then Bandits are decent. 
    I really like the Tech21 TM60 and I assume the 30 Watt one is also good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    my friend has a vox ac 4 valve amp and its great fun to play with. hardly any knobs on it though. from memory
    they cost about £150-£170 i think.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    For strictly home use and jamming without trying to keep up with a drummer the forum favourite - yamaha thr sounds fantastic and is very easy to carry around.  Should be able to find one used for under £200

If you want to keep up with a drummer at rehearsal or very small gigs (without micing it) then I'd go for a fender superchamp xd.  The effects and models are very useable but you can stick to the clean only channel and it's great with pedals - I'm toying with buying another one.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Second hand Fender Superchamp XD or X2 is a very good shout. I loved my XD, cracking little amp.
  • Wow, all of my thoughts have been spoken!

I'd opt for the fender mustang, superxhamp xd, peavey bandit or vox valvetronix (old version, metal grill, pretty decent).
  • Roland cube...

• IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    Mustangs are great

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9981
    tFB Trader
    Second hand Laney LC15r (reverb).
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Good call, or a Cub.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610

Have a Fender Superchamp XD in very nice condition with original FS and a new cover.

There are really good for practice. Check out the youtube demos & they are highly thought of on here.

This is NOT the newer X2 variety that taps into computer etc.

Looking for £180 + £5 delivery. If interested pm me yr email & Ican send pics

Cheers

Baz

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    "if" you only want to practice/record with/from it -  Id say have a look at a  Yamaha THR of some description.  Certainly the best "practice"  sized tool/amp Ive ever owned 

Not really an option if you want to jam with anything louder than another THR   :D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Epiphone Valve Junior ... same cct (allegedly) as Harley-Benton GA5 (sadly not made any more but a superb little amplifier for the money which takes pedals very well, and has an excellent 'clean'/unprocessed sound too).

I also have an AC4TV, good with s/c pickups, HATES either of my Yamaha guitars with h/bs, just about tolerates my Gibbos.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I think the general guidance is that practice combos tend to be good at what their bigger siblings do. So, if you want to sound Fenderish get a Fender,etc. As a dedicated practice tool the Yamaha seems to be much loved ( although weren't there problems with the PSU on early models?) and that and the new Roland are the only ones that I can think of that look designed for home use rather than looking like a gigging amp that shrunk in the wash.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TheGuitarWeasel;30386" said:
    Ooo forgot about this. The lc amps sound absolutely amazing, the lh50/lc50 is one of my favourite amps ever. Great cleans, fairly deep but sparkly, and excellent crunch.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Awesome, added a bunch to the shortlist, thanks for the advice exactly what I was after.  
  • Laney Cub 12R. Lovely tube tone, Marshall-like dirt and has onboard reverb. Has a 15W input and a 1W input for playing quieter.

• How good are the cleans on the Yamaha THR series?  I've been thinking of upgrading my Microcube which I use purely as a living room amp, mainly to get better jazzy cleans (I'm happy with the overdrive options on the Microcube but the cleans are lacking clarity and presence to my ears).  I'd been thinking Superchamp but maybe I should think about the Yamaha as well.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9981
    tFB Trader
    I am actually sad I sold my Laney LC15r ... the reverb is a proper spring unit ... the sound at bedroom volume was awesome ... and it was easily loud enough to do small pub gigs (with an extension cab). It felt like a proper amp ... not toy-like as some of the small amps feel.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610

I agree Mr Weasel those small Laneys punch way above their weight. Hardly use mine but can't let it go either.

Nice small footprint too.

Cheers

Baz

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    If cleans are what you are after Mustangs are pretty good. 
    If you want the option to gig it then Bandits are decent. 
    I really like the Tech21 TM60 and I assume the 30 Watt one is also good.
    Mustangs are great.  got my son one to pratice with.

I've got a Belcat Tube 20R that I use and it's incredible value for money.  I've also mic'd this through a PA and gigged with it.