Your perfect tone...

What's Hot
RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
edited August 2014 in Guitar
We often go on about "tone" and people's tone being good or awful or even how to get "tone".  I appreciate this will be subjective depending on style of music you play/listen to, but what is your version of "perfect tone".

Post your videos/sound clip below and why you love it so much, but the rules are you are only allowed to choose one video or sound clip (I appreciate different genres have different sounds, but then it would just turn into massive lists and that isn't the point of this).

I'll start as I imposed the rules I guess...

Solo about 3:50 in.  Grew up listening to rock/blues and for me this defines the ultimate in "crying" expressive guitar tone.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    I'm odd.  One of my favourite tones ever is Captain Sensible, using an SG while playing the solo on The Damned's Under the Floor Again.  Full on Marxhall OD lovelinesses.  

I love a good pushed Marshall tone.  But....I don't like to play that tone.  My favourite playing tone is Blackface Fender on the edge of breakup, using pick dynamics to regulate how clean/dirty the tone is.

Most odd!  Must be different parts of my brain involved...!

Marlin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    love the acoustic tone this guy produces

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I first heard this solo when I was about 9. It's now been my favourite solo for more than 30 years. Lifeson to me is just a bit different, and his tone around Hemispheres / Permanent Waves is right up there .

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Depends on the stuff I'm playing. Anything early Gibbons prob covers me. Anything early Malcolm Young for the rest. I'm a simple soul. Cleans? Nah.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

For playing, a Marshall or Blackstar, treble 7, mids 8, bass 6-7, gain 10. Simple.

Pretty similar to what I like listening wise too.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• This is my perfect solo tone 

Skip to 40 seconds ;)

I *think* it's a DS-2 and a big muff, but it *could* be a fuzz factory.  There is a bit of debate.

For rhythm, I love the standard strat neck single coil into a compressor into a clean, edge of breakup amp (basically, more Frusciante) and for crunch I love Mark Tremonti 

Which is, more than likely, a Cornford Mk II, but he also uses Dual Recs, Uberschall, Two Rock, a Dumble ODS and a whole bunch of other mega expensive uber amps.  
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    edited August 2014
    Warning, NSFW or kids around.

One of my fave bands, Buckcherry, love the guitar sounds they get and this is has been my ballpark since the '80s
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Love Eric Johnson's tones, both clean and lead:

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    We often go on about "tone" and people's tone being good or awful or even how to get "tone".  I appreciate this will be subjective depending on style of music you play/listen to, but what is your version of "perfect tone".

Post your videos/sound clip below and why you love it so much, but the rules are you are only allowed to choose one video or sound clip (I appreciate different genres have different sounds, but then it would just turn into massive lists and that isn't the point of this).

I'll start as I imposed the rules I guess...

Solo about 3:50 in.  Grew up listening to rock/blues and for me this defines the ultimate in "crying" expressive guitar tone.
    Absolutely fantastic! Tiny blip at 4.42 but 99.9% perfect, and a lovely cleanish tone at the end.   :D
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    edited August 2014
    Firstly, I would actually love to hear my own gear at a mouthwatering volume, but alas, that is not possible, yet.

:-S

I have a lot of different fave tones for different genres, but like you said, pick only one, so it would have to be this below. Especially the passage he plays at 3:36, the note clarity and chime is gorgeous. The quieter parts, the tone has a lovely sweetness about it. If I go full on TGP language, it's a lovely "Woody" tone.

I'm not sure what amp he used to record this song, Dumble? anyone know? It might be something I'd never have thought. I guess his Guitar was his Strat(no shit Sherlock). It sounds like on the Intro he uses Pos 4 and on the Lead parts changes to the Neck. Whatever he did, all those tones sound lush. Suppose it could also be all in the fingers too, but that's another discussion.

PS: I had to leave out my beloved 80's Guitar tones to choose that one *Hides Behind Sofa*

:-)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    its a toss up between this...for both clean and dirt...

and this...for fuzz...

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4EZaKAFo7A

Simply the most soulful player I have ever seen.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    On my phone and don't know how to post a YouTube link.
    Years ago I was in a blues band and I decided pretty much to chase Eric Clapton's tone on Reconsider Baby off From the Cradle. Having the wrong gear and even less idea the resulting noise was my blues tone, as it were.
    I remember reading Buddy Whittington got his tone from chasing the Clapton Blues Breaker tone with all the wrong gear so I feel I'm in good company ( although Buddy has refined his and got much cleaner over the years).

Anyhoo, just getting back into a blues band after many years so I should dust off my copy of From the Cradle and see how close I can get!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    @EricTheWeary

EC was on fine form around this period.

He's broken a sweat here :

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    It's funny because at different stages of my life I'd have chosen completely different sounds. At 14 it'd have been Slash, at 20 it'd have been Robbie Robertson, at 22 it'd have been Lovell George and so on. At any of those points I might chosen something by Pagey. But the 39 year old me has gone all single coily and fallen in love with Strats in his old age(albeit still having an aversion to SRV wannabees) and I'm choosing current period Robert Cray. The purest tone occupying a middle ground between a Strat and Albert Collins tele. His latest album is my favourite of the year
    edited August 2014

Malcolm.

Billy.
  • Deadman said:
    Yeah, that one is pretty much my single coil dream.  :)