Your perfect tone...

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    richardhomer;322129" said:
    @EricTheWeary

EC was on fine form around this period.

He's broken a sweat here :

Even on my phone that sounds good, much more biting than the tones he used later.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited August 2014
    EricTheWeary;322170" said:
    Even on my phone that sounds good, much more biting than the tones he used later.
    I saw him play 'Have You Ever Loved a Woman' on that guitar at the Manchester Arena in '96.

I was stunning... (hence my avatar)
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Probably Blackmore on "Made in Japan" :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    edited August 2014
    For me Clean tones: all on Guthrie govans album ..................... Rhythm tones: SRV when he's cranking out a number ................... Singing leads: Thomas Blug live in raalte
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited August 2014

This just gets me every time. A lot of players talk about trying to make the guitar sing, but for me this is the man who comes close to actually achieving this ambition. Stirring and soulful. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty much any live incarnation of Black Crowes, plus almost every one of the many tones Warren Haynes gets out of his gear. Just sublime.

• RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
    edited August 2014
    Agreed, Warren Haynes is the one player I wish I could play/sound like.  My actual guitar hero...

edit: a lot of people breaking the rules by posting "this band" or "this player" ... find a clip which nails the exact tone as players sound can alter significantly between songs/even on different versions of the same song! :P
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2014

or

Both crushingly heavy, both thoroughly awesome
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    edited August 2014
    Nails sound like a slightly too polished version of the Sunlight sound.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    @BloodEagle I was thinking of adding dopesmoker to my list too! so thick and heavy!

One of the most influential guitar tones in heavy music - even Hetfield grabbed a pen and write their amp settings down once.

Perfection.

Re: Sleep I was always disappointed with their guitar sound. Too much fizz and gain, too much pedal, not enough amp.
    edited August 2014
    @reverend - yes, you wont be surprised to hear they use HM2's, but I think they sort of take the sunlight sound to it's natural conclusion. Production is by Kurt Ballou of Converge whos has done a lot of similar sounding bands, but I think the guitar sound on this record in particular is something special. Got to mention his work on the recent Vallenfyre record too (and not just because I made some of the pedals they used for it namedrop namedrop etc) - although it is also in the same general ballpark it sounds genuinely gobsmacking. Have always loved the sound of that Trouble record - you really can see (or hear) the Hetfield connection, and it would just have been plain wrong not to mention Dopesmoker @samzadgan i would disagree with the fizziness comment - if anything the guitar sounds more like a big fuzzy bassoon in parts
    I haven't listened to Jerusalem since it came out, as far as I can remember, let alone Dopesmoker. I just remember seeing Sleep back then and thinking it was too modern sounding :)
    While Im at it - cannto get enough of the complete disregard for tone on the 1st few Black Flag records - basically a transistor amp turned up to breaking point, and it still sounds beyond gnarly -
    I am not fan of fuzz for doom. Although I do like Al Morris III's tone, especially in Force.

Still the best reason to tune low.
    edited August 2014
    It just had to be World Eater - phenomenal track, second only to Cenotaph in the BT discog imo. Yeah, Sleep have all of a sudden become icons of old school doom and (amazing band though I think they are/were) when they released there 1st few records I'm sure I remember they were viewed very much as young pretenders -  I do like High of Fire more than them tbh
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Reverend said:
    Still the best reason to tune low.
    I remember sneaking into an over 18's gig in sydney when these guys came to Oz...my god...to this day (25 years later) I still remember the power they had at that gig, i don't think i've been to anything as brutal as that!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom