• ReverendReverend Frets: 4996

And of course. ..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180

Derek Trucks on  Midnight in Harlem, just the epitome of taste and soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0hr2HWOohM

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    lotta good tones in there sweepy, really like that bass tone as well, and the organ. All good stuff.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180

Oteil Burbridge is an awesome player, delicate and bang on the money, a hard thing to do and still drive things along nicely.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    TheMarlin said:
    I'm odd.  One of my favourite tones ever is Captain Sensible, using an SG while playing the solo on The Damned's Under the Floor Again.  Full on Marxhall OD lovelinesses.  

Put it there brother. That song is in my top 3 of all time. I'm a massive Damned fan.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Yeah, that one is pretty much my single coil dream.  :) 
    Given that it's not even JF that guy has done brilliantly. I could have posted something actually from JF/RHCP (Strip my mind is right up there) but this just sounds amazing to my ear. Either way, it would have to be something that way orientated.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edit: a lot of people breaking the rules by posting "this band" or "this player" ... find a clip which nails the exact tone as players sound can alter significantly between songs/even on different versions of the same song! :P
    Which means I have to limit myself to just one Mark Knopfler clip when I could pick from dozens ... I could narrow it down to two I suppose .... his clean strat sound & his thick les paul sound .... he is so well known for the first that I am going to pick this one ... the incidental  fills and solo are just lush

• Hard to choose but I think for me, it's Mick Ronson's solo in "Once Bitten Twice Shy"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    There are better players, better songs and better solos, but this is the greatest electric guitar tone ever recorded.

Interestingly and despite the video, Peter Buck said he used a Les Paul and a Marshall rather than his usual Rickenbacker and AC30/Twin... but it also shows how much is the player because it still really sounds like a Rick.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Deadman;322444" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Yeah, that one is pretty much my single coil dream.  :) 

Given that it's not even JF that guy has done brilliantly. I could have posted something actually from JF/RHCP (Strip my mind is right up there) but this just sounds amazing to my ear. Either way, it would have to be something that way orientated.
    Yeah, it's fantastic. Luckily, it's an easy tone to get.

Vintage style neck pickup (he uses Duncan ssl1), strat (body woods largely irrelevant in my experience for this tone), compressor for a but of attack and a clean amp.

It's a lovely sound, and pretty much anyone can achieve something pretty close really easily.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    close2u said:
    Which means I have to limit myself to just one Mark Knopfler clip when I could pick from dozens ... I could narrow it down to two I suppose .... his clean strat sound & his thick les paul sound .... he is so well known for the first that I am going to pick this one ... the incidental  fills and solo are just lush
    I'm not particularly a Dire Straits/Knopfler fan, but that gave me chills.

I love the fact that when he plays a Les Paul he doesn't try to make it sound just like his Strat, or vice versa.  His LP tone there, and on the studio version, is just beautiful.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2014
    I think it'd have to be Petrucci, from this particular section of Images and Words: Live in Tokyo 1993:

2:00 on. Pretty much perfect IMO. Lots of gain so it sustains for ages, but it's also very clear and seems to respond to picking dynamics.

If I could play like that too, that'd be nice.

Cleans-wise, this comes close:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Solo starts at 1.17

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    If I had to choose it would be Eric Johnson's although it wouldn't be very useful for what I do.
    I'm also convinced that his playing style is fundamental to how he sounds more so than other players. As it is for Knopfler. I found that by trying to copy some of his stuff and realised that his tone is less "impressive" if you lack the chops and vice versa (think Joe Bonamassa).
     imho of course.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Two for the price of one in this song:
    Thick, rounded rhythm at the start, then fuzzy goodness from about 0:45
    Which are two of my favourite sounds from an electric guitar.

Silversun Pickups

edited August 2014
    Philly_Q said:

I love the fact that when he (Knopfler) plays a Les Paul he doesn't try to make it sound just like his Strat, or vice versa.  His LP tone there, and on the studio version, is just beautiful.
    @Philly_Q

Good shout You've got it bang on.
    When I listen to his CDs I can so clearly hear the tonal difference between songs with the strat and those with the les paul - but also he seems to approach his guitaring differently ... he has mastered both

and then there is his acoustic tone
    and his resonator tone
    etc etc

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited August 2014
    close2u;322761" said:
    Good shout You've got it bang on.

When I listen to his CDs I can so clearly hear the tonal difference between songs with the strat and those with the les paul - but also he seems to approach his guitaring differently ... he has mastered both

and then there is his acoustic tone

and his resonator tone

etc etc
    I think what Knopfler is a master of, is 'playing the song'.

His tone, phrasing and note choice are always superb - but even on something which is fairly obviously a guitar 'vehicle' like Sultans of Swing - he never lets it get in the way of the song. The guitar sort of 'punctuates' the lyrics, if that makes sense?

Players like that are always my favourite. For me, George Harrison, David Gilmour, Andy Summers and Mike Campbell fall into that category.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014
    A wisdom. :)
    Concisely explained.
    Great examples of others with that mastery.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    edited August 2014
    While we're on the subject of Knopfler, I might as well mention that "Sultans of Swing" was the first record I ever heard which really made me aware that the sound I was hearing was... An Electric Guitar.

Of course I'd liked other chart songs before, I saw people like Slade on Top of the Pops with guitars so I knew what they were!  But I'd never really thought about the role the guitar played in the song, the sound it actually made, until that point.

As I mentioned already, it turned out I didn't become a real Knopfler fan, I got much more into hard rock and old-school metal.  But I've always admired Knopfler as a player.