Clip-on tuners - got my eye on a Snark

What's Hot
Anyone got one? Happy with the accuracy? 

The Peterson one doesn't seem like an option for me - I'd probably go spare chasing the strobe, by all accounts they're quite fragile, and it's just too easy to lose or get nicked - you could have a Snark and a spare, and still be spending significantly less.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Got one , love it.

Easy to read and accurate .

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    I've had two Snarks (former band mate broke the first one through his general heavy handedness) and have been happy with them.

The battery was nearly dead in my first one when it arrived so I initially thought the display was a little dull but a fresh battery sorted it.  The display is actually very clear and bright even in direct sunlight.  They do tend to eat batteries quite quickly but given you can pick up a dozen or so in a strip for a couple of quid it's not a huge problem.  Better quality batteries tend to help as well.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I've had a couple - I like the snark - cheap and does the job very nicely.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    I've tried several.  Functionally the Snarks probably just shade it as the best I've had, but the differences are marginal and IMO they are ugly. I prefer a tuner that's more discreet and still gets the job done, like the Planet Waves micro. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I've tried several.  Functionally the Snarks probably just shade it as the best I've had, but the differences are marginal and IMO they are ugly. I prefer a tuner that's more discreet and still gets the job done, like the Planet Waves micro. 
    hmmm… I'd not seen that one. All other things being equal, that could be the candidate.
    edited August 2014

This one looks interesting , not sure how accurate it would be  ?

I prefer a needle to see how close I am getting.

Discreet though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Korg-RP-G1-Rimpitch-Soundhole-Acoustic/dp/B00JJNFP54

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I have a Snark it's good.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Mines good.  Seems to eat batteries though....
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I've had one for a while now - I'll give it a "good". It does tend to get through batteries a bit, and also there are times when I wish the display was a bit brighter. Re accuracy, it's not too bad, but I can tune more accurately with my old Zen-On tuner which has a needle display. But the Snark gets me through gigs fine. A friend has a TGI clip on tuner, with a big display, and I do think that is better than the Snark - I'd buy a TGI if I was getting one again.
  • Another vote for the planet waves micro works well and is very discreet, only caveat is have to put my specs on to check it which  hate doing on stage !
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMO, spend the extra for the Korg AW2G.  I've had 3 Snarks (two of them the more accurate model) and the complaints I have are the batteries don't last as long, they aren't as easy to read (subjective though!), and the clamp and adjustment mechanisms aren't as good/versatile IMO.  The Korg is more flexible and easier to position on the headstock.  The Korg also does both audio and piezo tunings (not all snarks do) and has good brightness options.  I wouldn't buy another Snark now personally, they are good but if you can afford the extra IMO the Korg is worth it.

• Personally, and it is purely personal, I hate the look of clip on tuners. I do have a Peterson, which I use before gigs (then I don't need to plug into the pedalboard to tune) and I have a couple of Planet Waves micros on my acoustics (no pedalboard) - I like the accuracy of the Peterson for setups and stuff but prefer the stealthiness of the micros - and at £20 or better I'll probably end up with one on virtually every guitar!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5381
    I have a Fender FT-004 which was under a tenner from Amazon. It's great.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    edited August 2014
    Thumbs up for snark too & was less than a tenner
    edited August 2014

A top ten review of tuners here ............. . http://guitar-tuner-review.toptenreviews.com/korg-aw2g-review.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I have no idea what these Snarks are you speak of. In Australia we spell it with an h... Sharks.

But in all seriousness, Korg do a marvelous job with their clip-on tuners. :) I can't vouch for the Sha...Snark... But I'd give Korg the time of day, every time.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I use the snark, I think I have 5 of them or something daft. They are fine round the house but not so good in a band context. 
    When the guitar is in tune acording to the snark my floor pedal always shows the guitar to be flat. 

like I say fine at home
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I have a snark, having got through (I.e. broken) a Crafter and 2 different TGIs before. The Snark is bulkier but has a brighter display which I have found easiest to read.
  • I've seen other people get on well with a Snark, but for accuracy I always like my Yamaha YT-250 (and no its not a twin cylinder 2 stroke motorbike even though it seems like it ought to be)

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Yamaha-YT-250-Chromatic-Tuner/GFE?origin=product-ads&gclid=CNfOw7D8nsACFSKWtAodWBkADA

even my piano tuner thinks its OK and he once said he hated all digital tuning devices. I asked him to humour me and leave it on top of the piano while he tuned it. In the end he agreed it was pretty accurate.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself