Ampless love - what's your combo in 2022?

What's Hot
FatboylimFatboylim Frets: 14
edited April 2022 in FX Reviews
What is your ampless set up?

I've had the DSM Humboldt Simplifier and RevivalDrive Compact for the best part of a year and still loving it (as a hobbyist player).

The Simplifier whilst great, it has a DI dryness that the RevivalDrive compact elevates to a more 3D tone. Even with headphones (using the Simplifier sweep switch) the tones really are fun.

Optionally, I add in a cheap compressor in the FX loop to create a slight amp sag effect (Marshal Ed-1 the Compressor).

What I like about this set up is that I can add an analogue delay between the RevivalDrive and Simplifier to darken the sound with a Boss DM2. 

Pre amp pedals: Keeley 2 knob Ross style -> klon partspipe
Core sound is: RevivalDrive -> Boss DM2 -> Simplifier
FX Loop: Ed-1 compressor -> modulation pedals

Unfortunately no pictures as I have a pedal pile rather than a board as I'm still experimenting with pedal order.

So what is your experience with ampless more recently?
Hr
Apologies if this should be in the FX discussion thread! It started out as a love of this pedal combination to date. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26553
    Well...is modelling cheating? ;)

That board can run straight to the PA or through the power amp into a cab (guitar cab or FRFR, it doesn't care). Both delays are in the loops of the Stomp, with bypass handled by snapshots.

While it's the most compact rig I've ever had, it's also the most versatile - both in terms of how it can be used hardware-wise and what it can do sound-wise.

Oh, and it's all battery-powered apart from the power amp.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3961
    Helix LT
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Blackstar Dept 10 Dual drive running into a TC Nova System then out in stereo to my mixer. Sounds glorious through my studio monitors.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8679
    AxeFX straight to PA, with a Matrix Q12 as a personal monitor. It’s been that way since 2009.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3667
    Boss GT-1000 direct into PA with IEMs and a DV Mark Micro 50 and a 2x12 if I ever need an amp on stage.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    For bass, Zoom B1Xon to PA using a Gallien Krueger amp setting - the best £40 I've ever spent!
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
    Revival Drive Compact into a Neunaber Iconoclast cab sim [with a Neunaber Immerse Reverb in between] into a Genelec 8030C. perfect for making musical mayhem in a big front room :) ...
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1271
    My direct recording rig. ODR1 > Revivaldrive Custom > Boonar > Flint > Mooer Radar (Celestion IRs) > interface and studio monitors. 
  • FatboylimFatboylim Frets: 14
    Well...is modelling cheating? ;)

That board can run straight to the PA or through the power amp into a cab (guitar cab or FRFR, it doesn't care). Both delays are in the loops of the Stomp, with bypass handled by snapshots.

While it's the most compact rig I've ever had, it's also the most versatile - both in terms of how it can be used hardware-wise and what it can do sound-wise.

Oh, and it's all battery-powered apart from the power amp.
    I am so tempted to get a Stomp for the modulation effects alone. 
  • Blackstar Dept 10 Dual drive running into a TC Nova System then out in stereo to my mixer. Sounds glorious through my studio monitors.
    Now with pic:

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Quad cortex and Shure wireless with a wah and volume off the board for those gigs that need them.    I run it in a powered speaker or power amp input on my little bogner.   

The QC is awesome but I’m conscious that any damage means gig over so I’ll probably add a bluguitar amp1 as a backup in the near future.   
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3657
    Boss GT100
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3809
    edited May 2022
    Interesting that a bunch of you have for revival drives. Are they particularly good with modellers, it just great all-rounders?
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    '78 Badass into Beebo. I could probably create the '78 in Beebo but I like having a dirt pedal on it's own. oh, and a lime green curly cable. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
    Quilter Superblock US does what I need it to for headphone practice, going direct for online teaching, or direct recording. It's also an amp head in its own right, so I pair it with a Toob Metro GP 6.5" speaker cab for an incredibly lightweight solution for rehearsals or gigs where I'm not driving.
  • FatboylimFatboylim Frets: 14
    Lebarque said:
    Interesting that a bunch of you have for revival drives. Are they particularly good with modellers, it just great all-rounders?
    Most definitely and especially used as an amp. For me the blend is particularly useful.  It dials in the 3d tone for me. 

And the more/presence knob has a very good amp like treble cut. 

With the DSM Simpifier having a flat/thin DI sound, the Revivaldrive really adds a "3D"element to the tone.

Of note it does provide a bit of compression (which I love) so it does the classic vintage sounds well. It may not be so useful for modern alternate tones. Or I'm doing that tone profile wrong! 
  • HX effects, a few extra drive pedals, into the Simplifier - perfect!
  • Helix Floor.

Only outboard is a 90's Crybaby on occasion.
  • Nux Cerberus with a Joyo American Sound in its FX loop. Then I just load whatever IR I need into the Cerberus. Versatile, cheap and and the analog OD/Dist on the cerberus are insanely underestimated. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    edited February 2023

Full-fat Helix direct to PA for me. The other guitarist in the band uses an HX Effects into my old JMP-1 pre amp.  I use a Kemper in my home studio which I’ve also gigged in the past but, whilst I think that the Kemper sounds better, the Helix is more flexible.

Our Drummer quit at NY so in a couple of weeks’ time we’ll be doing our first gig with the drums on a backing track.  This has enabled me to do all of my preset loading / snapshot changes remotely via a MIDI track running in sync with the drums (I’ve also programmed the lights to do the same).  I just plug my guitar in and play, no tap dancing.  It’s very liberating.