Picks

What's Hot
JfingersJfingers Frets: 384
<div>Who here plays with a pick?</div><div>I hadn't played with one for donkeys years until I found one in a jar with lots of other stuff.</div><div><br></div><div>It was a Jim Dunlop point six mm, grey. I used to use them a lot.</div><div>I found it immediately changed my style (I mainly play on an acoustic these days)</div><div><br></div><div>Much more strumming and a lot less thumb...</div><div><br></div><div>Sorry if it's not off topic enough.<br></div>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 1883
    Me. 80% of the time.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I usually fingerpick but when I want to thrash the strings I'll use a Dunlop Stubby.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    For electric guitar, I use Dunlop Tortex yellow (0.73 mm).<br><br>For acoustic, it depends what I'm playing - same pick for strumming.<br><br>
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13574
    <blockquote class="Quote"> <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/29720/Jfingers">Jfingers</a> said:</div> <div class="QuoteText"><div>Who here plays with a pick?</div><div>I hadn't played with one for donkeys years until I found one in a jar with lots of other stuff.</div><div><br></div><div>It was a Jim Dunlop point six mm, grey. I used to use them a lot.</div><div>I found it immediately changed my style (I mainly play on an acoustic these days)</div><div><br></div><div>Much more strumming and a lot less thumb...</div><div><br></div><div>Sorry if it's not off topic enough.<br></div></div> </blockquote> dont worry, hopefully it will soon pass
    <i>just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't</i><br><i> just because you do, doesn't mean you should.</i>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1096
    I mostly if not all the time play with a pick, very rarely do I do fingerstyle or play with my fingers. I use the tortex 0.73mm for acoustic and the 0.88mm for electrics.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Black fangs mofos
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9755
    I never play with a pick. I find I’ve got more control using my fingers.
    <i>I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it</i>
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I play with pick and fingers ....or just pick depending on what sound I want 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8783
    For years I played with just fingers. Still do when the music merits it, but most of the the songs I’m playing at the moment need a pick.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.undercoversband.com/">https://www.undercoversband.com/</a>.<br>;
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Fingers only. There's something about the tactile sensation of your fingers on the strings. Apart from which, I'm just rubbish with a pick. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1898
    Picks mostly. I still like to practice using my fingers too.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I always use a pick and my guitar is electro-acoustic. <br><br>It's a Dunlop Tortex red pick. Not that thick...point 50mm? :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    For live stuff, I'll tend to just be chord bashing, and bits of lead, so will use a pick.<br><br>At home, almost always fingers, for picking, lead, chordbashing et al.
  • PALPAL Frets: 542
    What ever the song needs.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5550
    I never, ever learned to get a good consistent tone with a pick,  and my timing was questionable. No-one ever taught me how to hold one and by the time I learned the proper way to do it it was way too late to change. So I sucked. The only instrument I was really any good at was bass, and I played bass with my fingers. <br><br>Sometimes I'd try to learn to play guitar with my fingers, but my nails are naturally weak and it always ended up in blood and mess. Back to picks.<br><br>Then I went to a nail salon and asked for an artificial nail, started playing with one finger and thumb (same way I used to play bass). I got lots better. I graduated to two fingers and thumb, tried all four, and have settled down to using three fingers (nail and/or flesh, mix and match) and thumb (just a pick-shaped callous on the side of it).<br><br>I keep picks around for visitors to use. Every three or four months I try playing with one, throw it down in disgust and go back to bare fingers after a couple of minutes. <br><br>I'm not going back.<br><br>
    I liked the look of those Dunlop jazz picks,both red and green,but when I bought them I found them to be too small. I prefer playing using the rounded side of the pick so would like to find a larger teardrop style pick plus I'd like a larger pick,in diameter not thickness,as I enjoy playing with more of the pick sticking out of my fingers than is considered 'orthodox.' I'm still trying to find more of a 'perfect' choice than the many I have already tried.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1818
    <blockquote class="Quote"> <div><a rel="nofollow" target="_blank">guitarjack66</a> said:</div> <div>I liked the look of those Dunlop jazz picks,both red and green,but when I bought them I found them to be too small. I prefer playing using the rounded side of the pick so would like to find a larger teardrop style pick plus I'd like a larger pick,in diameter not thickness,as I enjoy playing with more of the pick sticking out of my fingers than is considered 'orthodox.' I'm still trying to find more of a 'perfect' choice than the many I have already tried.</div> </blockquote> <br>Dunlop also make a Tortex TIII pick that is the same size as a regular Dunlop but with the Jazz teardrop pointed tip. I love them and use them 99% off the time for my playing 
    <blockquote class="Quote"> <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/17364/flying_pie">flying_pie</a> said:</div> <div class="QuoteText"><blockquote class="Quote"> <div><a rel="nofollow" target="_blank">guitarjack66</a> said:</div> <div>I liked the look of those Dunlop jazz picks,both red and green,but when I bought them I found them to be too small. I prefer playing using the rounded side of the pick so would like to find a larger teardrop style pick plus I'd like a larger pick,in diameter not thickness,as I enjoy playing with more of the pick sticking out of my fingers than is considered 'orthodox.' I'm still trying to find more of a 'perfect' choice than the many I have already tried.</div> </blockquote> <br>Dunlop also make a Tortex TIII pick that is the same size as a regular Dunlop but with the Jazz teardrop pointed tip. I love them and use them 99% off the time for my playing </div> </blockquote> Thanks. Will have a look at them.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7456
    I've had about half a dozen IronGear 1mm Delrin picks lying around from having bought IronGear pickups from Axetec over the last few years.  I knew immediately that they were far too thick and inflexible for my liking so I've never used them.  I tend to use pearloid picks in 0.7 and 0.9mm and I like the slight flex even on the 0.9mm ones.  About half an hour ago through sheer coincidence I looked at the IronGear one on my desk and decided to sand it down into a gradual and even taper from about 1/4 of the way down to the tip that is now about 0.4mm.  It gives a very slight flex, but only on the last 1/4 of the pick at the tip, while still having a stiff, reasonably thick, and satin feel up at the wide end to grip on.  I really like this feel and I'm going to do the same for the other thick Delrin ones I have lying around while I look around to see if I can buy picks like this.<br>
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5299
    Blue chip picks for me.  Tried most of the others and for tone and speed I haven’t found better ime