I'm fascinated by this 'fusion' playing, can anyone dissect it for me?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2659
    edited October 2022
    Also, fiddling some more and avoiding work, I realised that the higher of the two dominants is the flat five sub of the lower - with a bit of voice leading F7 - E7 - A major sounds very 19th century. For example:<br><br>x        x        x<br>4        3        2<br>5       1        2<br>3        x        2<br>0       2         0<br>x        0<span>        x<br><br>F7     E7      A<br><br>Voice leading may be putting it a bit strongly, but there it is. No help at all with the widdly, but it's the sort of thing that entertains me.</span>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10737
    <blockquote class="Quote"> <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/17147/Grangousier">Grangousier</a> said:</div> <div class="QuoteText"><blockquote class="Quote"><div>But Phygian dominant is the main one used in fusion after harmonic minor.</div></blockquote><br>Not a very learned person, but one thing I noticed when I tried this out is that if you add a note between the seventh and the root (there are reasons why you might want to do this) - in this case an Eb - you get two dominant seven chords a semitone apart - in this case E7 and F7.  Which also sounds good if you weave them together.<br><br><br></div><div class="QuoteText"><br></div> </blockquote> <br><div><br></div><div>Nice</div>
    <div><a rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Roland</a> said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.<br><a rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Supportact</a> said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.<br></div>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom