Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited May 2014

Q1: Where did your username come from? 
    Purley by accident I do a lot of programming with SQL and needed a hasty original username that I could easily remember

Q2: Where in the world/country are you? Staffordshire

Q3: What's your main musical ambition?
    Now that the kids are grown up, to hook up with some local musicians to start creating, recording and performing new material:

Q4: Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?
    The tweed Fender Bandmaster clone I've just built for myself from scratch... it's just gorgeous!

Q5: Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?
    Andrew Gold: One Of Them Is Me: The finest song he ever wrote, beautiful beyond words.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi all. Ive already posted in other sections without knowing this was here. Im 38 and work for Yorkshire Ambulance Service and play for a laugh with me mates in a weird originals band called jam abraham.

Q1 - lazyness. I was urbanpagan on MR but posted infrequently.

Q2 - Wakefield WY. Originally from Northumberland

Q3 - in my dreams, play later and record at rancho de la luna. In reality im just happy to be playing and learning a wee bit week by week.

Q4 - Monkey FX supermonkey, a fuzz face with spacehopper bollocks

Q5 - impossible to say but Grace by Jeff Buckley is on in the background so I'll just go with that.
  • TTony said:

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

1: The drummer in an old band I was in used to address his emails to me with 'Dear fretmeister' and it stuck. He was less happy with being called 'Skin Beater'

2: The lovely rolling fields of Northamptonshire. I have lived in several countries but the local scenery is beautiful.

3: Not sure I have many musical ambitions anymore. But I would like to learn to play the double bass properly. My daughter is a clarinet player with a love for blues and jazz. So hopefully she'll still let me play with her when she's older and I'm an embarrassment.

4: Not sure really. I've had all manner of 'posh' instruments but I am really falling in love with my P bass at the moment. Generally I don't like Fenders. At all. But after almost 30 years of trying them I've found the right one for me. So although I usually play my Marleaux more often, I'd be most upset if the Precision got nicked / destroyed.

5: Favourite to listen to varies every day. But the tune I like to play along to most is 'Ding Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line' by the Cherry Poppin Daddies. 

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? My old uni band was called Astronauts Fail whose name came from my friend once drunkenly writing on a cigarette packet "as I get old there is less and less danger of me becoming an astronaut"

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Glasgow, Scotland

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? to become a music therapist

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Musicman Axis Super Sport

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? All medicated geniuses by Pretty Girls Make Graves

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • skayskay Frets: 391

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

Not very imaginative, it's my initial and surname, but it sounds like a word and was the same I used on MR for continuity sakes if that makes a difference...

Greenwich, London.

To smile more onstage :-D

My Vox AC30, which is why I chose it for my avatar thingy.

Fugazi - Guilford Fall

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Q 1 where did your username come from? I work for a Crane company called Kone and I`m a guitarist !

Q 2 where n the world /country are you ? Sherborne Dorset, love it, been here almost 23 years, longer than anywhere else.

Q 3 Whats your main musical ambition ? to get someone to cover one of my songs.

Q 4 Your best bit of gear ? Suppose its my bitsa tele/esquire with huge neck.

Q 5 your number one track ?  Probably Mystery train by Elvis

• CeeBeeCeeBee Frets: 39
    edited February 2014
    Q1 My initials - couldn't think of anything else. 

Q2 Leamington Spa, Warwickshire 

Q3 To get as good as I can, and have as much fun playing as possible. 

Q4 Gibson SG 61 re-issue. My other guitars are non-USA built. 

Q5 A Rush track, so many to choose from but I'll go for 2112 as it's 20 minutes long!
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited February 2014

Q1:  Where did you username come from? - I was on MR and someone had used Getafix-the-Druid.  It reminded me that the Asterix series used to be a favourite comic of mine.  I was also terrible at guitar, and the two fitted quite nicely.

2:  Where in the world/country are you? Middle of Doncaster, though born in sunny Kent.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To play in a band, having got a taste of playing live in a local playalong club.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Difficult to say.  Probably My Studio Pro 35.  I smile every time I make a sound with it.  I must look like a maniac when I'm playing through it.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?This changes regularly, but Spirit of Radio by Rush is one that I don't really get tired of listening to.  That or Sixto Rodriguez "Sugarman"
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100

It has been a family name for generations!

Darkest South Yorkshire. All hail our king - Sean Bean!

Ideally to get a job as a theatre technician. It's not going to happen though.

My Fender Jazz Bass

People Ain't No Good - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

• chimerachimera Frets: 0
    I had to resort to sitting in front of a PC to type this. I couldn't get anywhere on my Google tablet. Yes, I know everything is underlined and No I didn't intend it to be!!

Q1 Chimera after the sportscar TVR Chimera. My brother managed to blag a test drive in one and they were happy to send him out without the salesman (very very trusting).The car was absolutely bonkers. The merest whiff of throttle caused it to swap ends and attempt to incorporate itself into trees. The surprise, when it came to handing the keys back, was that the salesman seemed genuinely proud of the instability. Almost like it was an optional extra. Crazy.

I'm in England on the Wirral and my real name isn't chimera. It's Pete.

Main musical ambition would be to find groupies attracted to a 43 year old guitarist with limited talent....but also very modest;)

My "best" bit of gear is my American Deluxe Strat.. No sorry, Tuesday's favourite is one of the telecasters. I have quite unintentionally ended up being a massive fan of Fender strats and teles. I started out and it had to be humbuckers, 24.75 scale, rosewood board. Now it's single coils, 25.5 and maple. I sold all the gibby types.

Best track would be the intro of the live version of Cliffs of Dover and Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley. Now this one as a choice that lacks any cred at all. The BBC's The Voice has a young woman on called Sophie May Williams. Check out her YT for Billy Jean. I think she has the potential to be huge...and I don't mean she eats a lot of donuts 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited March 2014
    chimera said:
    I had to resort to sitting in front of a PC to type this. I couldn't get anywhere on my Google tablet. Yes, I know everything is underlined and No I didn't intend it to be!!
    Q1 Chimera after the sportscar TVR Chimera. My brother managed to blag a test drive in one and they were happy to send him out without the salesman (very very trusting).The car was absolutely bonkers. The merest whiff of throttle caused it to swap ends and attempt to incorporate itself into trees. The surprise, when it came to handing the keys back, was that the salesman seemed genuinely proud of the instability. Almost like it was an optional extra. Crazy.
    I'm in England on the Wirral and my real name isn't chimera. It's Pete.
    Main musical ambition would be to find groupies attracted to a 43 year old guitarist with limited talent....but also very modest;)
    My "best" bit of gear is my American Deluxe Strat.. No sorry, Tuesday's favourite is one of the telecasters. I have quite unintentionally ended up being a massive fan of Fender strats and teles. I started out and it had to be humbuckers, 24.75 scale, rosewood board. Now it's single coils, 25.5 and maple. I sold all the gibby types.
    Best track would be the intro of the live version of Cliffs of Dover and Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley. Now this one as a choice that lacks any cred at all. The BBC's The Voice has a young woman on called Sophie May Williams. Check out her YT for Billy Jean. I think she has the potential to be huge...and I don't mean she eats a lot of donuts 

hello  :-h
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    edited May 2014
    Never formally introduced myself. I'm a refugee from musicradar, used to go by the name of barrycreed or criodain over there. I can't recall!

Just happens to be my twitter handle. My name is Barry Creed, and I have/had a wee online marketing gig called "Creed Clicks"

I'm a 37 year old in Ireland for now, completing a Masters, but more than likely will head to the UK, job depending after the summer. A change of scene is what I need. Yes I'll be one of those people UKIP have warned you about.

Dropped out of the original music scene the last while, and am doing covers to pay the bills. I guess I'd like to dip the toes into playing some original music again, but to try and be a bit experimental this time. In a way, the idea of pitching up in a new country and playing music for fun with some new people with new ideas appeals greatly to me.

I would have to modestly say my Japanese Jazzmaster. Who knows, when I'm in the money again, I might be able to get a fancier Jazzmaster.

Hard to say really, but if I were to pick one off the top of my head, it would have to be either the acoustic or full band version of Like Suicide by Soundgarden. That song for me has everything: alternate tunings, great melodies and hooks, and a solo ;)

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    edited December 2015

Been using it for over 15 years, made it up when I was a teenager. 

Northamptonshire

To write music and make a living from it.

CS Jazzmaster

Scar Tissue... I think

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    edited May 2014

My favourite Character from my Favourite Film (Kelly's Heros)

Little Village just a bit North East from Oakham in Rutland and 10 miles West of Stamford

Getting a covers band together one day although family and work take up all my time so can't see anything happening any time soon

James Trussart Steelcaster Deluxe - 40th birthday present from my wife and proof that you get what you pay for, looks to die for an added bonus

Pink Floyds 'Dogs' -  great lyrics with playing to match. The first song I ever remember my dad playing as well.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924

ochaye the noo,let me see........

central Scotland.....between Edinburgh and Glasgow 

to play ONE perfect note

Elsie at number 38

Greensleeves

tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Question 1. Where did you get your user name from?
    Its been acquired over the years, with age comes the blues.

Question 2.Where in the world/country are you?
     Mid Rural Essex, the Flatlands.

Question 3.Whats' your main musical ambition?
    The one who dies with the most guitars wins!

Question 4.Your best bit of gear?
    It changes too often but right now its a Stunning 60's Cherry 50th Anniversary Gibson 1964 Reissue ES 345 VOS

Question 5. Arghh, An amazing question! Possibly, Waiting On A Friend. The Rolling Stones.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    Hello everybody, I'm a bit late in posting here.....

1.My name is Jonny, Burgo was my nickname at school

2. I'm from Salford but now live in Hazel Grove Stockport, It's a bit vanilla but hey ho, its on the edge of the Peak district which is nice.

3. To learn to play the guitar

4. My bashed up 50s reisuue Tele, it really needs stripping and a coat of butterscotch nitro but.......

5. At the moment its this version of Zappa playing Black Napkins, just Frankie and a Pignose amp

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My name is Matt, username comes from two of my favourite players. I'm a veteran of the old Intermusic forum, and was also on MR, albeit with a different name...

I'm from Newport in South Wales, but currently residing in the Valleys.

I only ever wanted to be able to play the guitar well enough to be in a band - not for world domination but just for a hobby and because I've always loved guitar music.

My best bit of gear is probably my Gordon Smith Graf. Plays itself.

No.1 track is hard as hell for me, but I would pick More Than a Feeling by Boston.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229
    edited September 2014
    My name's Simon and my user name comes from the track by Limp Bizkit,one of my most favourite songs because it so brilliantly sums up how I feel when I'm feeling down and pissed off.

I'm from Grimsby in Lincolnshire.

My main musical ambition is to one day be able to play guitar as well as Lil Wayne.

My best bit of gear is undoubtedly my Jap Charvel San Dimas,lovely guitar.

Number one track is a bit difficult but currently it's this cover of Slash's Gotten by Lauren Tate.Great rock voice and still only seventeen.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Great thread resurrection. I should have found this ages ago.

My username is from one of the little red engines on Thomas and Friends. IIRC I was registering and looking for username inspiration, when I look over and see my youngest playing with his model of Skarloey.

I'm in South West London, made all the more bearable by being near the Thames.

My main musical ambition is to play more, especially jamming and gigging with other people.

My favourite bit of gear would have to be my 62RI Japanese Fender Strat.

My all time favourite track? Too hard a question! I love loads of pieces but if the proverbial gun was held to my head I might say the Gnossiennes by Erik Satie.