Guided upcut spiral bit

What's Hot
Which one and where from? I'm planning on jumping off that big cliff and having a go at bodies and necks. Eek...

All advice accepted gratefully.

Cheers chaps!
"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    If your hand routing then you need a down cut spiral, a up cut will push the router away from the wood a down cut will pull the router in too the wood. But if you are using a fixed head router it dose't really matter just hold the wood very firm.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Thanks Grahame. I'm making a router table this evening, so when I get round to taking on a lump of timber, it will be fixed under.
    tFB Trader
    If you can get a down cut rout bit the size you need then that would be best as it will pull the wood down on the table.

I use a over head router and should use up cut bit's so the wood is pushed down but I use down cut so I get a good finish round the pockets. 

This link show how I use the over head router to make a Tele body.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

Oh I see. Starting to make some sense. I'd read that the upcut gave a cleaner cut generally with little chance if tearout, hence the post title.

I'll have a gander in Axminster, I'll look at that link later Grahame after I've butchered this MDF for my basic table.

Ta muchly!
  • This thread title is a great name for a band.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    Up cut and down cut give a very clean finish. Were they are different is the down cut does just that so when you rout a pickup pocket the top edge is very clean cut with no tear out but if you use a up cut in a pickup pocket it will cut very clean in side the pocket but it will tear out the top edge badly.

I don't use Axminster router bits any more I use Wealden cutters but I just started to test RC cutters.

So, the downcut, used in a table configuration, will give a better finished result? If that's the case, that's what I'm after.

Just tried my 'table', looks like a bag of hammers, but works a treat! Just saved me wallet a few hundred quid. I'll make a fence this week, although don't need it yet.
    This thread title is a great name for a band.

I try  
    ;)
    tFB Trader
    Yer that's right

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    V informative thread link @GSPBASSES, thank ye!