fitting strap buttons to an acoustic

What's Hot
for some reason, my larrivee never had any strap buttons fitted, and could do with at least one fitted and ideally two. Is this something that can be safely done at home or will the thing explode into a shower of very expensive and toneful matchsticks? I am a pretty competent bod at carpentry, built a couple of sheds, a small barn, stud work walls etc.  

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Sharpe drill bit of the correct size. pin punch first and put masking tape on the area just because you never know. Drill into the seam/with the body interior block behind (look inside to be sure).
    Steady as she goes.

If you put one on the neck heal, wisdom is to not go into the end grain at the heal but a little further round (away from the player) on the underside of the heal and fit the button there, it is supposedly less likely to pull out or shatter the heal/end grain.

I just tie a bootlace around the headstock between the first and second row of machineheads and tie the strap on that for the top end. Button at the bottom of course with a dunlop plastic disc straplock.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    kk, thanks. May skip fitting the front button then, sounds a bit scary (may see if I can pick up a car boot special to practise on.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    If you're going to tie it on at the headstock, there's a better way than the usual 'tie it on' method, which can come undone at the worst possible moment...

Take your boot lace and first tie it into the largest loop you can make, with a reef knot, *really* tightly, ie pull hard on the loop as if you're trying to pull it apart. That way you know the knot will never come undone. (Bear with me, you really do want to do this first!)

Then feed the loop through the hole in the strap and back through itself so you now have a long loop attached to the strap. (I like to arrange it so the knot is hidden on the back of the strap end, but I admit I have OCD :) ).

Now pass the loop under the strings behind the nut and pass the whole strap through it on the far side. Now you have a fixed strap attached to the headstock.

Finally attach the strap to the body end button as normal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Also put masking tape on the drill bit to mark the screw length, so you do not "break on through to the other side".

I did it on my Larrivee heel and it was fine. I am no woodworker.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    noted and noted, thanks guys

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    The biggest mistake people make when fitting a strap button to an acoustic is first not checking it's a bolt on neck and suddenly see aluminium swarf and panic !!. I have had 2 for emergency repairs ! , always worth asking the manufacturer or visit their website for confirmation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom