[Help] new to taking up guitar, where/ which guitar stings for my guitar?

Hi I have recently started learning the guitar and one of the strings has snapped. Can someone recommend which strings to buy, and where from please?

The guitar is a low budget Valencia acoustic guitar with metal E,A, D, strings, and others are nylon, I think.

Help please!

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    A guitar shop will sort you out in he morning
  • capo4th said:
    A guitar shop will sort you out in he morning
    Cant currently get to one, at least not for the next few days. Is there anywhere online?

Thanks
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    edited September 2014
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Does anyone have any recommendations on strings as I am at a loss on which ones to choose?
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited September 2014
    Ebay is always your friend, I take it is a nylon classical, have you changed strings before etc etc.

If you are happy to change them then buy a set from Ebay and swap the all out.

As said, a guitar store is your best bet, they will help with advice and re-stringing, its hard to give advice without knowing all the details, in a store they can see your guitar.

I also take it they are tie ends rather than ball ends.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-6-pro-CLASSICAL-GUITAR-STRINGS-normal-or-high-gauge-tension-nylon-acoustic-/191303710920?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item2c8a96f8c8
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Daddario proarte are the standard nylon string and you can't really go wrong with them.
  • The lower ones ARE NOT metal. They just have metal windings. DO NOT put steel strings on an instrument designed for nylon. The tension of a steel string at concert pitch is way in excess of what the woodwork will stand. (Spanish guitars don't have truss rods in the neck). The downside of restringing a spanish guitar is the fiddly bit on the bridge. Hopefully someone will help you to master it.

In the meantime enjoy your journey into guitars & music :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

The lower ones ARE NOT metal. They just have metal windings. DO NOT put steel strings on an instrument designed for nylon. The tension of a steel string at concert pitch is way in excess of what the woodwork will stand.
    There is a long story about how I became a guitar repairer in that...

It's important to realise that this is a *classical* guitar, not an *acoustic* guitar. That was the mistake I made too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein