GAS - Martin 00-15m Vs. Taylor 322.

What's Hot
Im trying to decide between these fellas. its not set in stone because really speaking, i need all my money for my travels but im gassing and wouldnt mind taking an acoustic with me. 

anybody have/ played these? i prefer the aesthetics of the Martin, but ive been told that Taylors are easier to play. Ive always primarily been an electric player, i have owned acoustics and enjoy music catered for them, but ive never really enjoyed the playability of an acoustic. 

Am i likely to be able to get decently low action with either? and what are the necks like on them both? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I;'ve only played the Martin... what's the difference between 00-15m and 000-15m? 
    The 000-15m I played was amaaaazing and I secretly still want one.... Personally I like the sound of Taylors but much prefer the Martins for playability (and think their muddier sound is the best for fingerstyle). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    ahh ok, thats quite surprising seeing as everyone seems to say taylors are best for playability. yeahhh sound wise i like them both, the martin has a more vintage tone though. the 00-15 is just a tad smaller than the 000-15. 
  • I ended up getting a Larrivee om-02 for £750:

I think it'd cut through a mix better, it sounds fantastic. All wood for £750! The Martin played a bit better and sounded better for fingerstyle, but there was more value in the Larrivee (which also sounded better strummed). 
    thats a nice sounding guitar. i really liked that progression he wasplaying too actually. it wasnt really the sound i was after though, i want a mahog top for the mellow, warm sound. going to be fingerpicking as well as strumming though.
  • Yep, I get you! I so badly want a Martin 000-15m to go with my Larrivee... but I just got a PRS Limited Edition and might be getting a Suhr so it's out of the question lol. They're great, though... 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited September 2014
    There's a second hand Martin 000-17SM at guitarguitar Edinburgh - £1500 new, something like £1100 used.:

This kicked the ass off the 000-15M I played. Wish I could buy it but got the Larrivee not long back. 
    that looks very lovely, but its a 12 fret :( 

im very close to pulling the trigger on a taylor 322e actually. tone isnt as woody as the martin, tonely is like the in between of a spruce top, hog body, and the all hog martin. so sound is a bit more versatile and it also has short scale which my fingers/arms will like, as well as connivence of electronics. 

i still love the tone and looks of the martin though!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited September 2014
    You get a lovely case with the Martin, too lol...
    But fair play - I just like Martin guitars. Shame Larrivee haven't done a mahogany yet - my OM-02 really is a wonder.
    EDIT - do you really need access to fret 12+ so much? I urge you try try the 17SM at least. Where are you based? 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    I was well impressed with the 322 when I played it, Taylors are excellent guitars no two ways about it, would almost say I preferred it to my 314.

You get a lovely case with the Martin, too lol...
    But fair play - I just like Martin guitars. Shame Larrivee haven't done a mahogany yet - my OM-02 really is a wonder.
    EDIT - do you really need access to fret 12+ so much? I urge you try try the 17SM at least. Where are you based? 
    lol. ive never tried a Larrivee, not tried many acoustics for that matter because ive mostly played electric. 
    yeahh well id like to have the access. all my prior acoustics have been 14's with a cutaway. im in wales and unfortunately music shops round here are rubbish. 
    Tone71 said:
    I was well impressed with the 322 when I played it, Taylors are excellent guitars no two ways about it, would almost say I preferred it to my 314.

thats good to know. what are the necks like? whats the projection like on them?
    some of the main reasons im thinking taylor is because of the shorter scale length and 14 fret neck. 
  • Id strongly suggest the Martin 

but id say go for the 000 as its a touch more versatile 

the 00 is fantastic i had a loan on one with gloss finish for a month or so but the 000 covered more tonal ground 

and the older ones are a great used bargain

Id strongly suggest the Martin 

but id say go for the 000 as its a touch more versatile 

the 00 is fantastic i had a loan on one with gloss finish for a month or so but the 000 covered more tonal ground 

and the older ones are a great used bargain

the martin is what i originally wanted, but it doesnt sound as versatile as the taylor from what ive heard. 
  • Must suck not to have decent shops around you :( 
    I'd personally book a short holiday to some decent shops!
    it does indeed! 
    im not a big fan of testing guitars in shops anyway. obviously you can get an idea of how a guitar plays but i can never really dig in and test them properly because of the set up, background noise, amp etc...
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    edited September 2014
    firks91 said:
    Tone71 said:

thats good to know. what are the necks like? whats the projection like on them?
    some of the main reasons im thinking taylor is because of the shorter scale length and 14 fret neck. 
    The neck, to me, was very comfortable, not super skinny like the 1/2 series but good for me (I don't have large hands), it sounded excellent to me but I was behind the guitar not across the room.

If I had the spare dosh, I would buy one simple as.

Heres the thread I did at the time:

Just passed by my local Guitar Guitar and thought I would pop in.

Now the start of last year I bought a Taylor 314ce and that along with my 50`s CV Tele I was cured of GAS, I have other guitars but those 2 are the regular players...all year long didn`t even have a look for anything, just restrung what I had when needed, played and was content............so back to today...........Stumbled across the Taylor 322, what a lovely looking guitar! I didn`t pick it up and play because the cards in my pocket were starting to vibrate, and there would have been only one outcome.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/322

Priced at a little over £900, it`s there now, the seed is sown and I know the GAS is going to build.

Should have kept walking !!

cheers for the info, i cant believe how hard of a decision this has become for me! ive spent the last 2 days looking at acoustics and whatever videos i can find online. im now wondering about the 324 vs 322. it seems that the 324 may be more versatile, but then id lose out on the shorter scale.  i also have my eye on a 2nd hand 614ce which is completely different but could be a good buy.... and its pretty gorgeous. 
  • You get a lovely case with the Martin, too lol...

Didn't Larrivee introduce their 'hog model a little while ago, looks lovely but haven't played one as still gassing for a Martin personally.

https://www.soundtech.co.uk/larrivee/news/03-vintage-series

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• Wowsers!
    As great as the 000-17SM I played was... I'm so glad I got my OM-02 - I really bond with it!!
    i actually ended up with the taylor 614ce, which obviously is nothing like the others but well it was a good price and its prettiness took me in lol.