Bass distortion/grit pedals for live use

What's Hot
What would you guys suggest for something for a bassist to stomp on to fill in the sonic space left by a guitar that has gone from playing rhythm to solo parts in a rock band?  

It absolutely must have a blend knob, as the idea is to keep the low end but add some more grit on top.

Is the best reasonably priced option getting something like a Zoom B3?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Boss ODB3; watch eBay and BassChat, you'd get one for less than £35. I use mine for exactly what you're describing, and it's perfect; I hardly ever need the 'gain' and 'blend' controls above 9 o'clock though, there's stupid amounts of dirt on tap if you want it!
  • I'd leave the sonic space alone!

It's not the sound that makes the difference, its the bass line itself.

You can root note it and sound empty, or you can rip off Jack Bruce and get a cool counter melody going underneath.

I know which one I'd go for (and so would JS Bach!!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've got an ebs multi drive I don't want too much for.

That does it perfectly
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited September 2014
    Cheers guys.  It isn't for myself, but I'll have a look on YouTube for some clips as it will be used by my band's bassist. Thanks for the offers I will make him aware.
  • MXR M80 is excellent - our drummer uses it in his other band. The blend control is an absolute godsend :)

It also sounds excellent, and doubles as a DI unit.
    <space for hire>
  • If he has pedals he likes he can add a clean blend by using a Boss LS2

Just stick the drive pedal in one of the loops. No need to connect the other loop to itself as it self connects.

Then turn both loops on - you get a clean blend on any pedal you fancy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited November 2014
    What would you guys suggest for something for a bassist to stomp on to fill in the sonic space left by a guitar that has gone from playing rhythm to solo parts in a rock band?  
    I have a Boss ODB-3 which is literally mint -- great pedal but I quit the bass-playing gig before I even unpacked it.

It's here if you, or anyone else is interested. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    edited September 2014

It absolutely must have a blend knob, as the idea is to keep the low end but add some more grit on top.

Is the best reasonably priced option getting something like a Zoom B3?
    Probably. Even the 'guitar' models like the Squeak (Rat) have a blend on the B3.

If you want a cheaper, smaller, simpler analogue solution the Boss ODB-3 is always a good option.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Build yourself a D*A*M Ezekiel 25:17 clone! :-)
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • I don't like the ODB-3 at all.

I tend to use an LS-2 with either a RAT or sometimes with a BB preamp clone. The LS-2 is essential for live use. 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'd steer clear of the Boss if you want slightly driven grit. Despite the name it's more of a distortion pedal, very full on - doesn't lend itself to anything more subtle or dialled down. In that sort of price range I prefer the Ashdown Hyperdrive, can get a wider range of tones out of it and you can dial in the frequency range that will be affected and retain a clean low end. The stock switches are crap though, so expect to replace that. Ashdown kindly sent me a couple of free ones but i ended up getting a better one from elsewhere when they kept giving up.
  • the ashdown lomenzo as mentioned above is a great option, 
    Ive had good results with the hardwire cm2 (which can be found for less than £50) on ebay, and the dod bass overdrive (similar price)
    I also really like the new ehx glove, for a little more gain, but it still sounds good rolled back. New these are around the £50 mark