Recommend me some strings for my Honey Dipper.

What's Hot

It came with 12-53 gauge bronze strings. I'm finding that the top E is to sloppy for slide as is the low E and A strings.

I want to play a combi style of blues and slide. Michael Messers strings look pretty good with his hybrid 13-56 range, but I can only find them available in nickel on ebay (Strings Direct are out of stock).  The blurb on his strings state they are lower tension, so I was considering perhaps the 16-59 but I suspect even with the lower tension, these might be too 'tight' for finger-style work.

Are any of you chaps resonator players and if so, can you recommend me a suitable set of strings?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Got a set of these on the Tricone at the minute (13-52, I think) - rather liking them but they're a bit more expensive than I usually go for!

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=10&productname=Flat_Top_Phosphor_Bronze_Wound

• The John Pearce strings used to be fitted as standard to national resonators which are pretty decent. I'll probably get a barrage of abuse for saying so, but I've been using elixir nano webs phosphor bronze on my tricone and they work for me. X_X
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I ended up getting a set of Newtone National Michael Messer nickel strings 13-56 guage.
    The difference between them and the original 12-52 set that came on the guitar is like night and day.
    My glass slide works much better on the top E and B strings and the guitar is much more 'even' across the fretboard.

I was a bit dubious about using nickel coated strings an acoustic, but I could not source the bronze version, so was pleasantly surprised by the results 
    :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Use Newtone on square neck Scheerhorn,  great sound. Currently playing 16-56 gauge. Nice thing about Newtone is that I can get additional 27 gauge strings singly enabling replacement when worn, extending the life of the other strings.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    He’s probably had time to experiment In the last 6 years 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4124
    equalsql said:

The blurb on his strings state they are lower tension, so I was considering perhaps the 16-59 but I suspect even with the lower tension, these might be too 'tight' for finger-style work.

It will only be the wound strings that will be lower tension (courtesy of being round instead of hex core). The 16 is still gonna feel like a 16!

I've played a lot of slide on resos and flat tops over the years and all different kinds of set ups. The only way I've found to achieve a balance to be able to play fingerstyle and slide comfortably on the same guitar is to use either light (12-54) or medium (13-56) gauge of whatever brand, and put more practice into my slide playing. The online slide community fetishises heavy strings but the truth is you can totally play clean, clear slide on mediums or lights if you practice and don't assume it's not possible because nobody seems to do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom