Martin question

I'm thinking of swapping/trading my Martin OM18V for a D28 or HD28.

Has anyone done this or something similar and 
1) Thought it was a great idea
2 ) Bitterly regretted it and still pine for that old OM ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I have a D28 and an OM28V. They are different beasts, but if I really had to sell one of them it would be the D28. The D28 is a great all round workhorse, but my OM seems to have more character, a more complex tone, is a bit more responsive, and I prefer the wider nut and string spacing and the smaller body. It really comes down to personal choice though, and I could think of lots of reasons to keep the D28.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    I wouldn't swap a Vintage Series Martin for a Standard Series one.  Your guitar plus a bit of cash for an HD28V would be worth it but the D28 and HD28 don't have the pre-war style forward shifted bracing, and to my ears don't sound nearly as good.

If you are not fussed about the name on the headstock, Furch/Stondbridge make some really nice Martin style guitars at a much lower cost (as long as you don't mind the leopard print style scratchplate).
  • Yes, I think I'm suffering from some sort of grass is greener syndrome. Perhaps best to stick with what I've got.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    It's nice to have both.  I have a Stonebridge OM (mahogany back and sides) but I also have a couple of Martins.  If I could only keep one I'd probably go for the HD28V but it's a lot more comfortable noodling on the sofa with an OOO/OM size guitar than a Dread.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Yes, I think I'm suffering from some sort of grass is greener syndrome. Perhaps best to stick with what I've got.
    That did occur to me when I read your post. I would keep that OM and maybe try a few Dreads over the coming weeks to help bring it all into perspective. You have a really nice guitar there already.