any advice as to what to look out for when looking at a cheap 2nd hand encore bass guitar?

What's Hot
have seen a precision type encore bass for £55 at a local store (minus a control knob).

am interested,but do not want to buy it if it is pants.

what should i look for when checking it out?

ta :-) 
i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    That the neck is OK. Everything else is relatively easy and cheap to fix.

If it doesn't play well with a medium to low action, no rattles or buzzes and no sharp/lifting frets, forget it.

Obviously it would be useful if the pickup works, the machineheads operate correctly and all the other important parts are there too :), but if the neck is no good it's a write-off. It can be difficult to tell if it's badly enough set up or the strings are knackered/missing, but that tends to tip it into the area of a write-off as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• what should i look for when checking it out?

something else?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    a Nanyo SGC
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Do the electronics work? Is the neck twisted? Does the truss rod work?
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions