"French" Bass sound?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12648
    My fave example of that sound:

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, that's what I used to do for that sound. It works really nicely for finger funk playing too, let's you attack the strings a bit without it sounding like your slapping the bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A lovely live version showing... a Hofner Bass!!

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Yes @impmann bloody gorgeous!

I'm certainly trying the foam thing too.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1199
    I was messing about with the foam thing on a recent idea. Just a loop that goes nowhere but gives and idea of the sound.

http://www.brendanashbrook.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/frenchie.mp3
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    /\ I like that. :-)

• Not French, but a nice example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DuWOMqc9-M

• That's the sort of sound I'm often aiming for when using a pick. I think I get close - Fender P with flats (LaBella), and the mids CUT (almost completely) on my Orange Bass Terror (though with my P there's still some left!) some compression and a 4/5kHz lift. I also have roll-your-own cigarette filter tips underneath each string at the bridge; gives just the right amount of muting for my general pick & fingers playing, though I often use a sock when recording if I need something more extreme. It's not quite the same style, but if it's of interest it's the pick sound in this video I made - - though that is without my usual compression and EQ lift. Mind the sloppy playing... drum loop was added after the fact!
    Not the model boy of the village
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    Another example of this bass sound, never managed to get this down myself.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited February 2015
    Can't believe I forgot to add a 'proper' reply to this thread before - distracted by Bardot, probably :) - but there's another way of getting that 'doubled' - one very muted and the other very clicky - sound, with a Rickenbacker 4001/3... use the 'Rick-o-Sound' split outputs, and run the neck pickup with the tone all the way off through a bass amp and the bridge pickup (particularly with the 'vintage cap' if it's an old one or a new one with the push-pull switch) through a guitar amp. Or just DI both through separate channels and EQ.

Unfortunately there are very few other basses with this feature.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    The only other bass with split pickups I can think of is my old shergold marathon stereo, even that was limited to E/A poles from the pickup to left out, G/D to right....
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    Sounds like heavy compression with an LA2A as well as the four F's. (Fender, Flatwound, Flat Pick, Foam.)
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    The Four Fs - I like it. I'm going to remember that!