Need some help on the vocals front - song selection

So basically my vocal teacher kinda got irritated at me last lesson. I'm going in with Lesser Key, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Mars Volta, ... that kind of thing, and he says that it's all pretty advanced and that I really should be picking some easier songs to build my vocal technique and musculature.

Makes sense to me as much as I don't want to admit it - I do have a tendency to try to run before I can walk!

So anyone got any ideas on what I can work on and take into the next lesson? He's after more "songy" songs, with standard structures and all that. More of a pop thing I suppose. Problem is... spent so many years in the trenches of progressive instrumentally minded heavy rock and metal that I just keep drawing a blank. :-/

So fancy helping me pick a few songs to work on?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Didn't you express a love of the Chilis a while back?

Kiedis is a pretty shit singer so I shouldn't imagine any of their songs are overly challenging.

I found Smashing Pumpkins useful for gaining more power in the high registers because aping his singing style helps you to push forward and be more nasal.

My singing teacher said singing in the style of Elvis helps to lower your larynx which teaches you how to sing without blowing your voice.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I did think of the Pumpkins, but a lot of what Corgan does is quite whiny and breathy, which isn't terribly good for your cords. But I'll go back and have a look - haven't listened to any Pumpkins for a while!

I've got a bunch of Chilli's stuff listed, as well as some Foo Fighters, a couple of Frusciante solo tracks, and might throw a few QOTSA tunes in there too.

One thing he said was to go back to the roots of my roots - ie... the bands that influence me, find out what influenced them. Well.. it's all 70's proggy stuff that doesn't have much in the way of vocals a lot of the time.

I'm not too bad with the low layrnx thing, at low pitches anyway!!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I don't think of Billy Corgan as an especially good singer but aping him gets you in touch with being able to push things to your nose. I was singing in the car alternating lines between Elvis and Corgan because I was having trouble moving my voice around my head. 

Foos is great for stuff that isn't overly challenging, but involves a lot of constriction.
  • If the notes are within your range a lot of Feeder stuff could work.  Pretty straight forward note choices not too many big intervals etc. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

James Hetfield's vocals are fairly straight forward (easy for me to say) as he has to play guitar at the same time.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• If I had any vocal ability at all I'd probably look at Alice in Chains or Days of the New, that way not only are you practising awesome songs but you can also pick which of the 2 vocal parts to do and practice your harmonies. I'll ask Ed tonight what he started out on, I think it was mostly Coheed stuff but obviously that's quite stylized.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2014

One of the greatest ways to improve really quickly is to video yourself singing along to a disco mix of I Am What I Am and post it on YouTube.

This is a good version to help you get to grips with it with the lyrics to follow along too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEVKkIWbPrY

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.

• Kiedis is a pretty shit singer so I shouldn't imagine any of their songs are overly challenging.

Don't talk silly.

Oasis?
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    if its just for practice then do you have to like the songs or music?
    i think your teacher should suggest things that suit your voice/range, and develops it in the right direction
  • Hang on...have you considered some Pink Floyd?
    <space for hire>
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Hang on...have you considered some Queensryche?

:D

More seriously how about AC/DC plenty of straightforward songs, and enough double-entendre's to last a life time.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited January 2015
    So thanks for the suggestion guys. I had an hour and a half lesson today, and it went pretty well. I've got a bunch of songs queued up; QOTSA, David Bowie, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, and some others. Today I went through Karma Police by Radiohead and Drive by Incubus. Did quite well. My knowledge is expanding, my vowel choice is getting better by the day, and now my breathing is the focal point for improvement.