Anyone use/tried a Yamaha THR with Bass?

What's Hot
ROOGROOG Frets: 554

I have just acquired a P-Bass, (birthday presie) and I have been looking for simple home noodling/recording amp solutions. I am tempted by the THR 'C' partly because I would also find a use for it with 6 string Guitar.

So whilst it has a "Bass mode" does it really provide the tones for Bass? I would be interested to hear your experiences. Cheers

Space for a proper Bass amp, even a modest one is a bit limited in the ROOG household.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have… I'm more of a guitarist who dabbles in bass, so don't have a wealth of experience. I wouldn't describe it as a Bass amp by any stretch, but it WILL handle it quite well. 
    I've used it for my attempts at recording and the results aren't bad (well, they're pretty bad, but that's not the fault of the equipment used!)

Not sure how well the speakers would cope with a bass at high volume, living in a flat I tend to use headphones and that's absolutely fine.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554

Thanks for the reply @stimpsonslostson, I'm in much the same position, I don't need any great volume, but it is nice to know that the 'Bass' setting gives reasonable results. 

I don't expect the THR to provide any great weight to the sound, but I assume that Yamaha have given it aproriate EQ and speaker modelling to produce a 'bass amp' type sound but just at lower sound levels.

I am also interested in the Roland Micro bass cube, I'm guessing that the Roland that might sound a little more convincing given that it is dedicated to Bass.  

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

Skip to 8:30 - bass sounds great

http://youtu.be/vzKOzppQi6k

Damm! after listening to that how can I not want!

• exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited January 2015
    I love the THR10C with a guitar but I tried with a Jazz Bass, using the internal amp speakers and the Bass Guitar mode.

Was very poor in my view....would probably have been better if output had been feed to external HiFi speakers but I didn't try that.
    Main issue was complete lack of volume / low end frequencies. Didn't try direct USB recording - that's probably fine. For bass, buy a small bass combo :)
    edited January 2015
    I fear you might be right @exocet I tried a Roland micro cube yesterday, it was ok. I like the look of the Phil Jones double four and brief case Amps, finding one try locally could be the challenge

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I went bass not long ago - initially I used the THR I already had and it did me fine for hearing myself and knowing if I was playing cleanly or poorly. The 'tone' is decent but there is zero 'Impact' and impact is largely the point of bass imho.

I picked up a used Markbass 15" combo for under £400 (the Jeff Berlin Players School one) and it is outstanding.

Find the space. Stack some other shit on top of whatever you get to save space if need be. A bass needs some volume and a sensible speaker :-) 

Another genuinely very good option for home is tablet/phone plus interface and good headphones.
    I also use Jamup (with bass packs) and a Line6 Sonicport in to good headphones - sounds brilliant for practice
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:

Find the space. Stack some other shit on top of whatever you get to save space if need be. A bass needs some volume and a sensible speaker :-) 

Another genuinely very good option for home is tablet/phone plus interface and good headphones.
    I also use Jamup (with bass packs) and a Line6 Sonicport in to good headphones - sounds brilliant for practice
    @TimmyO Im sure you are right, it's all about the physics.

I have a JAM interface, I might give the iPad a go. 

I am a massive Jamup convert (other apps are available ;-) but I ditched em for Jamup) By preference even when it's just me at home I use the iPad and take a line out in to the amp return when I want it out loud and with some wallop. (Will probably need a converter/adapter cable to achieve that - I had the necessary lying around)

As and when life allows me to get back to playing with others I'm going to try defaulting to ipad as the primary source for bass
    Red ones are better. 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited January 2015
    Ok I'm all JamUp'ed! Plus bass pack, now all I need is a manual! 

EDIT: I'm getting there!

checkout other folks patches from the online cloud bit for extra inspiration 

Once you have some patches saved stick it in live mode for minimal distractions :-) 

Red ones are better. 
  • At home I practice through a Zoom B3 with headphones. 

Its not a proper amp, no, but it sounds very good indeed. Might be worth considering. 
    At home I practice through a Zoom B3 with headphones. 

Its not a proper amp, no, but it sounds very good indeed. Might be worth considering. 
    Hi @unclepsychosis I did give this some thought thanks as I know that many speak in praise of this multi fx unit.  I have now tried a couple of small purpose built bass amps and I can see that they are the right way to go, not that this would make the G3 redundant mind.

I have down loaded jamup & the bass expansion pack, and am slowly getting to grips with the way that it work, so I'm able to tinker through the iPad with headphones whilst I consider what to do about an amp.