How to get a really 'active' sound?

axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
I have a jazz bass which I'm sticking with as I like the look and feel. I really like that very active sound that people like Stanley Clarke records with. Any ideas on how to achieve that? I figure that the options are active pickups, on board preamp or external preamp. I currently have an East retro fitted, which is nice, but not as much zap as I am looking for. Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    EQ pedal?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Hmmnnn .... wouldn't have thought that EQ would do it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    An active bass preamp is just an EQ, almost always. Most active basses use standard passive pickups. (The main exceptions being things like EMGs.) Thus the only real difference is the physical location of the EQ circuit, either in the bass or in the pedal.

A parametric EQ is more like the fixed-band EQs in most active circuits than a typical graphic EQ.

Technically that Boss is not a fully parametric EQ since it has no control over the 'Q' or width of the frequency bands, but neither do the ones in active bass preamps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Ok, I'll see if I can find any sound bites through one of them.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23961
    The East should give you everything you need!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    for a bass that currently does not have Active EQ, the advantages of a pedal are:
    much cheaper to buy and fit. fitting inside would be £100-£250 I think
    Using pedals you can have more than one setting, and change mid-song with the pedal
    the 6 band Joyo EQ is good I use 2, one set to scoop the mids, one to boost

I'm puzzled the east one can't deliver, not sure what sound diff you are looking for
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23961
    What amp? And what strings and how old are they?
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I would have thought the East would have got you right in the ballpark for that. Fresh strings and technique/picking hand position might play a part too.