Sweet Child of really annoying....

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    TPReggie said:
    Only the fast part of the main solo to learn for me now - although I have to confess I kind of got fed up and gave up on it as I found something else to learn, terrible of me I know  :-\"
    That bit did take a while -- I take you mean those two bars where the wah kicks in.  I experimented with a few different fingerings before I got one I was happy with, but like the rest of the song it's not too hard although it's certainly a bit pacey. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Grunfeld said:
    John_P said:
    Just play it loads and it'll become a riff you can do without thinking..
    +1  When I first played it live I was more than a bit nervous about it cos let's face it, if you stuff it up everyone is going to notice and you will look amateurishly stupid.  There's very little wiggle room on the solos too, everyone knows them note for note.

However, many playings later... it's easy money cos it's not actually that difficult thereby allowing you to dick around standing on a table with a top hat on your head, holding your guitar up in the air and grinning at the audience like you're very clever... a bit like last night in fact :-)  [/no shame]

So it's well worth nailing IMO
    Mr G -  you sound like the perfect dep for one of my bands - I just hope you're better at balancing on tables than I am ;-)
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I still do get nervous sometimes and, even though it is pretty easy to play, messed up the intro completely on one of my last gigs..... Made up for it on the solos though   :)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    Sweet Child of Mine, the new Stairway.
  • Got sick of SCoM sometime around 1988.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Grunfeld said:
    John_P said:   Just play it loads and it'll become a riff you can do without thinking..
    +1  When I first played it live I was more than a bit nervous about it cos let's face it, if you stuff it up everyone is going to notice and you will look amateurishly stupid.  There's very little wiggle room on the solos too, everyone knows them note for note....

daveww said:   I still do get nervous sometimes and, even though it is pretty easy to play, messed up the intro completely on one of my last gigs..... Made up for it on the solos though   :)
    You mean like this...

So what's the worst that can happen?  You'll never do this, and you'll be in good company if you ever did.  Relax & enjoy.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    lol - yep just like that...... but I kept me shirt on  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549

Its frustrating for sure . .

Sometimes I nail it most times I fail at it though . . Mind you Im a rhythm player really . . just not a good one :-)

Now "Plug in Baby" . . . Love it . . !

Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I cheat and play it at the 10th fret with my pinky playing the high notes at the 15th and 14th fret.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    I worked it out by ear and at first I had difficulties in memorising the sequence of the starting notes on each repetition ( bar). 
    When I nailed it I just played it a few times and made it an "exercise" and after that it came naturally.
    The solos are quite a useful exercise too to work on bend pitch. Both for the ears and hands.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    jpfamps said:
    Sweet Child of Mine, the new Stairway.
    Exactly.

After working in guitar shops around the time this came out, I f'ing hate this song!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• I remember John Wheatcroft saying in GT it's awkward until you limit it to the first three fingers..trying to use the fourth finger in the mix it kinda messes it up..
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    sheraton52;86576" said:
    I remember John Wheatcroft saying in GT it's awkward until you limit it to the first three fingers..trying to use the fourth finger in the mix it kinda messes it up..
    This is true, however I chopped off half my little finger so have no choice but to play everything with only three fingers.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I was GNR fan since Appetite was released and Sweet Child solo was the first decent solo I actually managed to nail at 16, mainly because I practiced it six hours a day, seven days a week.

I loved the song at the time, because it was three chords and easy to make sound good, even with a single guitar in the mix and, of course I could nail the Party piece. 

But I also hated that song a bit even then because my intonation was always out as the bridge was liable to move on my Les Paul copy.  I always played the intro with three fingers, I can't see that it is hard, unless you cannot remember the melody.

These days it ranks on a par with Cher's 'Believe' which was one of five songs the factory I worked at for a year, played back to back as it was all they would dish out for.  Seriously head fucking.

I always though Slash stole and adapted Ratt's 'Scene of the Crime' intro for Sweet Child of Bum.

Also Nightrain sounded alot like the Back for More chorus

(GNR) It's so Easy - She wants money (Ratt)

(GNR) Anything Goes - Back For More

(GNR) Rocket Queen - You're in trouble (Ratt) verse sections

....maybe there is nothing there and it was just an eighties thing, there there seem to be a few parallel in the formula

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I don't know how you could play Sweet Child very week.  I'd be like 'Sorry folks, tonight it is Mr Crowley'
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Sambostar said:
    I don't know how you could play Sweet Child [e]very week...
    It would probably be cos it pays the wages ;)
  • supessupes Frets: 179
    Great song. Great band (at the time). Well worth learning.
  • Sambostar;92510" said:
    I don't know how you could play Sweet Child very week.  I'd be like 'Sorry folks, tonight it is Mr Crowley'
    The answer, as with all party setlist discussions, is "because drunk girls".

Function/party bands play what the crowd wants, at least the successful ones do.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    I have told this story before but I was in a duo called Double Whammy, playing van halen covers in south africa and an "oke" with a gun threatened to shoot us if we didn't stop playing that shit, so we switched to UB40. So that's my definition of being successful, or "alive" as we call it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited December 2013
    Sambostar said:

Depends on the audience.

Pub band - SCoM

Rock club - Mr Crowley

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)