Is there a reasonably priced 4 string 35" bass that is more traditional than the LTD F series?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ok. Well I have the pro steel strings now but will save the restring until a tracking day to get the most out of them (unless people think they need played in first?). The gauge I ordered might feel a little thin for BEAD but I'll give it a go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbay;375228" said:
    Ok. Well I have the pro steel strings now but will save the restring until a tracking day to get the most out of them (unless people think they need played in first?). The gauge I ordered might feel a little thin for BEAD but I'll give it a go.
    Not used those strings specifically, but I find most bass strings benefit from a bit of playing in first, to reduce the brightness a wee bit.

I used to use a bass in drop d to match the guitar when I would jam trivium songs with friends. I have no idea how you'd do it in standard, so it really depends what your riffs are like. Unless you're happy riffing in the same octave as the guitar - which still sounds very different to two guitars (some downtuned guitar bands do this, using a 5 string bass tuned down to A with the guitar in drop A).
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23934
    Play them in a little. They are a bit bright out of the packet!
  • Ok will do, cheers for your help guys.
  • I have a 4-string Peavey Cirrus for sale, if you are still interested. 
  • Thanks for the offer @RowlandwithaW but I'm sorted on this front now.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    I use 135-45 for my Warwick 5 string, I found I didn't like the low B with a 130.

For bright tone and non-flubby string tension when using a 130 low B Rotosound Swing Bass 66 could be a good call. They're excellent on rickenbackers because they give a bright but very punchy tone, and they feel a little tighter for their gauge than other strings I've tried.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Ah well...... Thanks for the reply! Have fun!