Is there a reasonably priced 4 string 35" bass that is more traditional than the LTD F series?

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7607
edited October 2014 in Bass
I'm not really happy with how my 4 string Ibanez SRX 500 is sounding with thick strings tuned down to drop B.  I think our bassist's bass will sound better, I've not tracked it yet, sounds ok in the reherasal room. It is a 'Rally' bass which I've never heard of or seen before, has a Music Man style bridge humbucker and a Jazz style neck pickup.  

I'd still like to own something myself that suits what I want to achieve.

I'm looking at options for longer scale basses so I could use thinner strings, as I'm wondering if that is part of the problem.  I had a Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 string with 35 inch scale, and the 4th and 5th strings sounded great on it - tight and defined.

I'd prefer to use a 4 string bass but I can't find many options for 4 string basses that are 35 inch scale, and even less at a reasonable price.  The only 'cheap' ones I can find in production are the ESP F series.

If they LTD F series are the only option at (preferably significantly less than) £500 then so be it, but they're not very 'me'.  It seems there's an option with own brand pickups, and EMGs.  I'm guessing I'm best off with the EMG version, but I've never tried either.

It is a bit nicer in this finish but I'm still not sold on spending a couple of hundred quid on it, even though it will almost certainly remain a recording instrument I do want to like it, and also I'm concerned that it doesn't look comfortable to play sat down.

Any ideas?

Or tips for used searches to set up?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments