Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I think the main lesson from Si's thread is that you've gotta love tinkering to run something like the AxeFX.

Even if you just run one main sound, it's a touch more work than just a valve amp.

I think you either "get" multi-fx/modellers or you don't.
    For at-home playing- yes.

This isn't my experience for recording.
    I'm working faster using the Axe FX than I ever did micing up amps.

I still mic amps up from time to time but it is a novelty, rather than business as usual.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Sporks - should the itch of curiosity need a lil' scratch..
    give me a ping and you can come try my Axe-II out

I reckon you'll quite enjoy it..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    @Drew_fx, how can you say that you don't like the Fractal Axe-FX II?  The first track on your latest album is called Fractal World! :p
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Didn't say I didn't like it!  8->
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm back in the land of the living. My lovely pre-amp is up and running again with version 11b firmware.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers buddy

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I'm here :)

Still got the rig.... 
    So.. an update on where I am..

We had a few band problems so we had to cancel a few gigs unfortunately so not gigged my rig as much as I wanted to, however we did have 1 gig a few weeks ago which was great. I made a few slight changes to my main patch, changed from using a Friedman HBE to a JCM 800 Mod instead as I thought it was a lot clearer than the Friedman. I had changed my cab setup a bit for the gig before that one and hated it, I was using a gator amp case to raise it up from the ground but lost all the bass and it just sounded shrill so I went back to having my Cab on the floor vertically with the AxeFX sitting on top. This worked really well at the last gig and sounded great out front.. Yay! So all is good. 

I do have the rig up for sale at the moment, and have had a LOT of interest, but so fat I've not sold it. in fact quite the opposite, I've expanded it with the addition of a Matrix Q12 cab. This just arrived this morning so I've not spent any time with it really but we'll see what happens when I do (Keep an eye on the classifieds :)). Initial impressions are that my patches are wank through the 12 and i need to start from scratch, especially if I'm using it live.. but it's very early days.

I have to say that Andy and John at Matrix have been really helpful and I can't recommend them highly enough. Also a BIG thanks to Clarks for replying to all of my moaning PMs on the fractal forums and helping me out of the doldrums.

So.. when's the next UK Axe fest :D

Si- download the Pete Thorn patches from the Fractal site.
    He nailed the tone I think you are going for.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    I do have the rig up for sale at the moment, and have had a LOT of interest, but so fat I've not sold it. in fact quite the opposite, I've expanded it with the addition of a Matrix Q12 cab. This just arrived this morning so I've not spent any time with it really but we'll see what happens when I do (Keep an eye on the classifieds :)). Initial impressions are that my patches are wank through the 12 and i need to start from scratch, especially if I'm using it live.. but it's very early days.

I find it easier to redo my patches after a major firmware update, let alone getting a new cab. Saying that, I don't have eye-wateringly convoluted presets that Clarky uses.  

The next Axe-Fest UK will be, more than likely after the US one in October.  I've been a bit tied up recently getting job interviews, and prepping for a major one I have next week.
    octatonic said:
    Si- download the Pete Thorn patches from the Fractal site.
    He nailed the tone I think you are going for.
    Already got them... I need to give them a proper try though..
    I can't compliment Matrix enough,Andy and John have been really great to deal with and John has been giving me lots of tips on setting things up.
    Phew... well with most of this morning spend messing with patches and the Q12 I think I'm getting there.. I've ended up using the factory "Basketweave TV Mix" cab IR as it seems to suit the Marshall's well, tweaked a per of the speaker parameters in the amp block on the advice of John from matrix and it's sounding decent. Obviously a very different sound to a standard 2x12 cab, seems to be a bit trebbely but from what I've read that will be fine in a band mix situation and is quite normal. 

Hopefully the next band session is Wednesday next week and I can try it in that context. (although we've lost our drummer so looking to get someone in to audition next week so not sure if it will happen or not).

I've been thinking of adding a 2nd expression pedal to my board.. I don't really have a use for it, but I've got it already and it seems a shame to have it sitting in the cupboard when I could have it on the board.. Anyone else running 2 expression pedals? and if so what are you using them for?

I tend to use mine just for Wah 99% of the time, although I have a trailing delay setup on 1 patch for a VH song, and I use it for a switch to the synth sound on my Rebel Yell patch.. 

I guess I could le tit up as a volume pedal, but generally I just use my guitar volume so not sure that's useful.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    Clarky said:

I've had a bit of a play with one already and loved it, but my cash flow just isn't going to support such a purchase.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Si_ said:
    I've been thinking of adding a 2nd expression pedal to my board.. I don't really have a use for it, but I've got it already and it seems a shame to have it sitting in the cupboard when I could have it on the board.. Anyone else running 2 expression pedals? and if so what are you using them for?

I tend to use mine just for Wah 99% of the time, although I have a trailing delay setup on 1 patch for a VH song, and I use it for a switch to the synth sound on my Rebel Yell patch.. 

I guess I could le tit up as a volume pedal, but generally I just use my guitar volume so not sure that's useful.

I have 3 expression pedals and a momentary switch set up on mine.

Exp 1: Always volume, which is after an amp block.
    Exp 2: Always Wah (with a switch).
    Exp 3: Random- depends on the patch:

I have different patches where EXP3 might control a whammy, or pitch/octave volume for a drawbar effect, or rotary speed/depth, pan speed, delay volume, synth volume or any of these all at once.

The momentary switch I use to momentarily switch on the rotary block.
    I use it for 'horn stabs' or organ stabs, depends on the patch.
    I stole this idea from Oz Noy.
    Sporky said:
    Clarky said:

I've had a bit of a play with one already and loved it, but my cash flow just isn't going to support such a purchase.

ah ok...

my Axe is at firmware version 11b now.. which is amazing.. it's quite a leap forward.. I think you'd enjoy this even more..

tell ya what... if you fancy having a go on one again for no reason at all giz a shout

just a lil' guitaring and Axe-ing and having fun time

edited August 2013

Si I use:

XP1 for tone morphing

XP2 for wah

• SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    Ta Clarky - much appreciated. :)